Newbie to the forum

Hello, Gentlemen. I’m fairly new to this forum so I hope this is a correct place to ask this question. I have a '52 120 OTS that’s been in my family since 1967. My dad converted it to SBC power when he got it so, unfortunately, the original engine is long gone. I do still have the original trans though. Along the way Dad purchased what was supposed to be a “C type” engine with an automatic trans mounted. the cylinder head number is G-7534-8S. I only see traces of red paint. The cam covers do have C type badges affixed. So I’m not sure if it’s a “C” engine or not? I am considering a rebuild for the engine to return my car to Jag power or possibly selling the car and substantial stash of parts. I’m located in Mason Ohio (just north of Cincinnati). Does it sound like this may be a real C type" engine and would that be a suitable replacement in my car?
Best regards,

Jim.

This serial number indicates the engine is from an XK140 about 1956-57. The C-head was an option on the 140 indicated by the suffix letter S, and had red paint in the valley and the C-Type badges on the cam covers. It is an improved head over the standard unpainted head which is often called an A head because it came first, and what would have been in your 1950 car.

It would certainly be an excellent engine for your car, although there will need to be a decision about how to do the front rubber mounts, 1950 style or 1956 style. You would need a flywheel, clutch and bell housing. The value of the car would be improved.

It is not actually from a C-Type racing car; that sometimes leads to confusion. Although it is a development from things the factory learned with the C racers.

What is your chassis number? Since you say it is a 1950, check your fenders with a magnet. If they are aluminum rather than steel, that would change the whole picture.

BTW the automatic was another option on XK140, but never used in a 120.

Rob, Thanks for the reply. The car is a '52 so no chance of it being an alloy bodied car. I’ll round up the chassis number this evening.
No chance I’m putting an automatic in it either. It’ll get the original 4 spd. But I’ll have the auto trans for sale soon, along with the engine and manual trans from a Mk VII ( and lots of other XK parts too).

Thanks much,
Jim

The Mark VII engine with manual trans could be closer to your original missing engine if you care about that sort of thing. It would also provide the flywheel and clutch you will need if you go with the 140 engine.

Rob I think it’s only the trans that came from the MkV11, the engine was a SBC

If you do a search for “C-Type head” on this forum, you will find the identification of actual production “Type C” heads (as the cam covers read and not the same as found on the actual C-Type race cars) explained by the numbers in encyclopedic detail. Here is just one of the most recent examples:

The horseshoe shaped front motor mount was used up to chassis number 672481. That should cover all or most OTS built in 1952.

I was thinking his horseshoe mount is long gone with the Chevy swap, and the Mark VII never used the horseshoe mount so his 2 spare engines will not provide one.
That will be one obstacle to overcome.

They are pretty easily acquired used, and they are so simple to fabricate, reproductions are decent and inexpensive. It will need one new hole drilled to accommodate the bolt pattern on the later engines.

The head was called “Type C” and the racing car was called a “C type”. Pretty subtle difference in names and can get a bit confusing. But it was the 1950s!

Hi Jim,
A little off topic but I have to ask, I’ve been working my 53’ 120 FHC (inherited basket case) and I’m always in need of miscellaneous parts if you have any extras to spare (sell).
As it turns out we are neighbors as I live in Cincinnati. Email me off line if you’d like to discuss the your car, I’d love to see it.

All the best,

Rob
underbitte@gmail.com