No inner fender on e-types

Finishing restoration on 1970 E-type SII OTS. Noticed there are no inner fender pieces protecting the inside of the front and rear fenders. The inside of the front fenders are unprotected from the mud shield to the front headlite panel that holds the sugar scoop. Parts of the cowl not shielded by the large rectangle air vent are also exposed. If a rock in the tire tread flies loose at speed and hits the exposed underside of the fender it will leave a little star shaped crack in the paint on the outside - ouch. I really do not want to coat my new metal/paint with heavy undercoat. Looking for ideas? I am thinking of using magnetic sign material cut to shape and attached to the exposed fender areas on the front and rear fenders. Ace 4 Magnum Magnetic has this material. 770-831-0444. Any better solutions?

i have never seen that type of rock damage

Your’s is a steel bonnet, not alloy, right?

shot mine with rock guard then painted over with boy color like classic jaguar does, magnetic rubber will hold water and dirt under it and that material does not hold well to curves,

I never heard of any damage like that in over 40 years of EType ownership.

A big rock kicked up by the pickup truck ahead…well that’s a different story. Got one of those the first week after my restoration.

You could paint them body color and then put on the same clear bra material that is used to protect the outside from rocks.

Yes, Steel Bonnet. Magnetic material sticks very well. I also use it around the wind screen when installing, rather than tape.

These fenders are thick and strong I doubt that could happen.
abe

Magnetic sign material is a not an idea I’d pursue. At some point it will dislodge - unnecessary in any event. I used 3M gravel guard and applied colour over it. It is slightly orange peeled but it’s the underside of the bonnet and it looks factory. If you drive the car, even on only dry days, the inside of the wheel arch will get dusty and dull anyway, and the only way you’ll notice it is if you do the limbo.

But there is an inner fender at the rear. Two parts, called the rear arch panel assembly.

Not a month after a total restoration on my '74, some sort of rock (pebble, who knows…) flew off the tire and made a nice “star” dent on my drivers side front fender. The fenders (and underbody) had “3m body schutz” sprayed… That was 10 years ago and I just learned to live with it since I never intended for it to be a “show” car. JS

Jeff Smith
Atlanta, GA
74’ OTS etype
57’ Mk1 MOD

Yes Jeff. I had the same thing happen on my 1972 Chevelle. It had inner fenders, but I had removed them for easier access to my 502 C.U. big block with Procharger supercharger. Then one day I heard the stone hit and it put the little start dent in the middle part of my front fender.

Well, it does happen, even if you spend your entire life in a city asphalt jungle. I have living proof.