No More Rear Main Seal Leaks Ever

The attached photos are of a revolutionary leak proof MK2 rear main seal from the Acme Manufacturing Company. Their head engineer, Wile E Coyote has come up with this time proven design to assure you will never have puddles under your car again.

On a serious side. This “fix” looks like a great way to get dirt and water directly into the sump. The rear basin catches the oil that bypasses the scroll and it gravity feeds back into the sump. Since it has no top, everything can settle in there. Got to give the creator points to come up with a fix for a perpetual problem. The workmanship is to a very good standard, even though the design is not.

3 Likes

This is very similar to the bucket my dad designed to cure a persistent oil leak in DC3 airplanes… :slight_smile:

Also somewhat reminiscent of how old Bugs dealt with their leaky rear axle grease seals…

Just run it through another oil filter … what could go wrong? Beep Beep! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

… Then blowby pressurizes the sump and that little tube he ran below the oil level actually pushes oil out, not in.

Easy fix: just reroute the little tube up to the port for vacuum advance. Problem solved!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

These pictures are from 2006. It is very professionally made and that is why I believe they came that way from the factory. This is mine, and it is identical to yours in every way, including the little lip around the back flange…

1 Like

Mike, mine sure looks like it was brazed with a gas fluxer torch. Standard method in the UK for low temperature joining of components. Mine is done to a high standard as well, the difference being that the tray is brazed on the same way as the tube is attached.

Until there is a definitive confirmation, I have a hard time thinking this is a factory fix over an aftermarket JC Whitney one. I get that it is tucked in tight between the sump and bellhousing but there is no way to keep shit out of it. Not saying never here, and those spot welds on yours shouts factory just scary to think of what else it scoops up besides oil drips.

I had the understanding it was a dealer fix in the 60s or 70s (no doubt the dealer got tired of people complaining). I have an aluminum sump and had half of a round aluminum ashtray welded to the sump with a drain to a catch-bottle which can be drained periodically. But, fingers crossed, the new seal seems to be working so not much need for the drain.

george
cincinnati oh
'65 Mk2

1 Like

The little puddle under my car tells me its topped up.
Without that, I’d have to actually use the dipstick…. :wink:

Same as my helicopter……

2 Likes

If ever you see me on helicopter, and there’s a puddle underneath it?

It’ll be from me…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Run the tube into a catch can - triple leak protection.

IMG_3475

1 Like

You must fly Chinooks or old Sikorskys.

Hueys, Hooky-tooks, Frogs, and the mighty Sea King. Leakers all !!

1 Like

Haha! S-61s and S-64/CH-54? They don’t leak if empty of fluids. Hueys? Not so much. Brit cars and Model A Fords? Built to leak!
Rotor in the green!

1 Like