No 'Tick Tock ' when using indicators

I’ve just noticed after returning from a short drive that all the turn indicator lights are working perfectly and blinking at the correct speed but the audible ‘tick tock’ has disappeared ?
Has anyone else had this happen ? Any ideas on where to look first ? Is it likely to be an indication that the flasher unit is about to fail, and if so where is it located ? Please don’t tell me the dash needs to be removed for access :fearful:

Hi Casso, there are some posts on this sight that might help. I did a search for “turn signal click” to find them. I did the search because your post interested me, and my car also has no clicking sound. Unfortunately I don’t yet have insight that is overly helpful, but I did read in Haynes that the CPU is involved in governing the turn signals, and on this forum I read there is a little speaker somewhere under the steering column that produces the sound.

First check your hearing aid batteries! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Hahaha. That could be my problem!

What was that you said, didn’t quite catch it :rofl:

1 Like

Hi Roger, thanks for the response. I’ll remove the steering column cover and have a look under it. I know there’s a speaker under there for the 'lights are on ’ warning, I wonder if the same speaker is used for the indicator tick tock ?

Yes it is - I’m going for a drive in a sec, I can’t remember if mine ticks or not. Will report back (and clean out my luggholes first).

It seems likely there’s just one speaker. I’m going to have to dig into this too since my car also has no other audibles (well, except the radio and a couple minor rattles). In my case, it’s possible a previous owner disconnected the speaker to get rid of audible warnings that wouldn’t quit.

The loudspeaker in the upper steering column you refer to is called the AUDIBLE WARNING speaker.

It is located on the right side near the ignition lock assy.

The XJ40 unit has a short link harness attached but a replacement can be soldered in place of the factory part.

The X300 and X100/X308 should all be compatible except for the harness connector. The speaker itself is a 64 OHM .3 Watt or .5 Watt and about 50mm in diameter.

I found an online supplier that sold me 5 speakers for about $35 with shipping.
The local dealer wanted more than that for ONE.

yes indeed it does tick