Notes on Securon Inertia Reel Seatbelt

I recently purchased inertial reel 3-point front seat-belts for my 2+2. The brand is Securon.

The model number is SB514/30. I purchased them through one of the usual suppliers and not direct from Securon.

I noticed that the Securon site differentiates between FHC and 2+2 in terms of which system/part number they recommend, but that the usual’s site did not. I don’t remember for OTS.

Overall, I am satisfied with the purchase and it has improved my experience driving the car and certainly makes it easier for passengers who baulk at manually adjustable belts.

However, there are some things to know which may affect your decision if you are considering them.

Pros:

1. The inertial-reel action enables greater movement while driving compared to fixed shoulder belts. This is the basic point and motivator for such a system in any car.
  2. They are easy to use once installed
  3. They are straight-forward to install, but see notes below
  4. The inertia mechanism works well. They lock when they should and unlock again easily enough. (Fingers crossed. I have not needed them to save me yet.)
  5. Plenty of lengths of anchor bolts are supplied (but I ended up buying some SS spring washers and flat washers to get the distances right at the shoulder/reel attachment. See note below for 2+2 rear seat movement)

Cons:

1. The buckle (the part of the system that bolts to the transmission tunnel and which has the press-button release) is a little long and sits slightly higher against my body than I’d like. I believe that in the model designation SB514/30, the 30 means 30cm and refers to the length of this part. It would be better 10cm shorter and lower on the hips in an XKE
  2. The round chrome trim and spacer on the original XKE shoulder anchor cannot be re-used on a 2+2. You need to do without this, or the new reel will stick out too far and make it impossible to move the rear seat between its two positions. Clearly not an issue for a FHC installation.
  3. There is no distinction between left/right (driver/passenger). It is the same part and therefore the same reel, without symmetry. This means the reel adjustment knobs (for levelling the pendulum mechanism) point up on one side of the car and down on the other. No big deal, but it would look neater if they were mirrored. Unlikely anyone but you will notice.

General Notes:

1. They are not hard to install. Setting the pendulum mechanism may take patience.
  2. The diagram explaining how to use the adjustment knobs to set the pendulum mechanism were not self-explanatory to me. I ended up mostly ignoring it and eventually figured out how to adjust them so they locked and unlocked. I found it was the “b” knob that mattered.
  3. When installing, you may find the reel keeps locking the belt and slowly but surely swallowing all the belt length, making it hard to get the anchor bolt in. I pulled the belt out to its maximum, and then put a clamp on it to stop it getting swallowed up, until I was done

Photo 1: The box. One seat belt per box
Photo 2: The kit. The buckle part could be shorter. A good selection of bolts/washers included.

Photo 3: The Reel. The pendulum adjustment knobs are on the right. One large know, visible here, and a smaller one nested within it, but not visible in this shot.

Photo 4: The other adjustment knob, from another angle

Photo 5: The reel installed. On the driver’s side (LHD), the adjustment knobs face down. On passenger side, upward.

Photo 6: Use a clamp to hold the belt out while installing. The orange color is the clamp, not the kit.

Photo 7: These two original trim pieces /spacer cannot be re-used or the reel will stick out too far and foul the rear seat when moving it between front and rear positions.

Photo 8: The buckle sits a little high, but OK

3 Likes

I love you for this post!

I updated my 2+2 with static belts and I had custom lengths made. There are nice but always in the way and I’ve been debating doing this kit.

Do you know how much belt is in the reel? Besides being far back, I’m big so I’d like to know there is enough belt.

Again, thanks!!!

There is an excess of belt/webbing. 265cm according to the Securon site.

btw, I saw your blue car at Carlisle the other month…

Would you mind sharing where you bought them? Apologies if it’s in your original post and I missed it.

Sorry I missed you Liam— was a good show.

SNG Barrat carries them in the US.

Thank you. I’ll add it to my list of future improvements.

Just ordered a set. If I ever get my car back I will install. If I’m too fat, I’ll resell them here at a discount :slight_smile:

Think I am tackling this in the next do or so. Fingers crossed and thanks for the write up. I will post my results :slight_smile:

@ozusa how did you actually mount the reel to the car. My threaded end in the car is angled down and the reel is too wide to fit. I have it with offset bracket but that seems odd. I have it in but not tightened yet.

Thoughts?

David, I have added a couple more photos. Driver’s side, taken through the rear hatch. The cream colored “tube” is the original part of the body with female thread. On top of that goes a small spacing washer, then the main part reel holder, then the metal strengthening plate that came with the kit, then a spring washer and bolt. I bought the s/s washers at a hardware store. I forget which length bolt I used. I did not use the offset bracket.

Does this answer your question?

Driver’s side (LHD), showing adjustment knob downward, pointing transverse to clear trim. Photo taken from driver’s seat looking backwards. (Seat belt is here held out pf the way for clear view of the reel’s position.)

Passenger’s side. Adjustment knob pointing upwards, not fouling anything.

Thank you so much, very helpful. I’ll try again and see how it goes.

One quick q— the strength bracket goes on the inside of the reel? I had that wrong :slight_smile:

I put the metal plate on the “inside” simply for space and clearance reasons. If I recall correctly, I could not get the rear seat to clear the reel if I did it the other way. I would have preferred to put it on the outside as you have tried.

1 Like