Obscure E-type parts challenge

Think you know your stuff?

What’s this?

Extra points for part numbers.

An easy one. What you got?

Carburetor butterfly spindles.

1 Like

more specific

One old and one new (with hole not yet drilled).

Middle carb?

Solidly in the ballpark. You’re obviously talking about triple HD8s. Yes and no. But to be fair, orientation of the spindle isn’t specified … rear.

I think the shelf life of that one was about five minutes.

To be even more specific, the HD and HS8 carbs do not have the hole drilled in them as both ends are clamp style attachments. The earlier dual carbs so have some versions that use a pin. Also, these two are not off of the same model carb as the butterfly diameter is different, at least from the picture.

It’s odd but I can’t find part numbers for them. They’re the throttle shafts for HD8 carbs. The return springs and the throttle linkage are attached with clamps but the throttle stop itself is pinned. This is the front carb:

Butterfly diameters are the same but the first pic suffers from parallax error? The butterfly slots sure do look different.

The hole for the throttle stop pin is drilled in after everything else is fitted.

You are correct, I forgot about the throttle stop which is pinned. They do appear to be for two different size butterflies though.

Nick Isn’t the part number used by Jaguar the same as SU, now Burlin uses. For a real early 3.8 WZX 1196, and for the rest WZX 1206. You have to drill the hole for the throttle stop with a numbered drill specified in the instructions as I recall. A touchy job - I can attest to screwing up a few! I think Burlen sell spindles only in a kit form, and the part number I’ve given is for that - I think

Yes! I plugged that p/n into SNG’s finder and up it popped:

https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/English/parts/c3e93460-71a3-4290-a2f9-a2a3b43da69e

Joe Curto has a video on Youtube showing how he does the throttle stop pin hole. He fits everything together, holds the throttle stop and butterfly in place with his fingers and then uses a drill press to make the hole - saying in the video that he’s successful about 90% of the time. And that’s a guy who does it for a living. I will do the assembly, mark the spot on the spindle where the hole will be, then disassemble and clamp only the spindle in the drill press.

Trying to chase down the required 9.5 mm line reamer. Seems Joe Curto has them but I haven’t got a response to my inquiry.

What? None of you expert E-type disassember-assemblers want to play?

Ok, then. I’ll throw out 12 more obscure E-type parts from my ancient hoard of used junk I can’t seem to find the discipline to throw out. Name, function and part number for full brownie points.

Hint: a few of the parts are related to one another.

Post something hard, and Ill play…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Is #1 modified/damaged? I thought it held the large spring in place?

You got me with 12. Unless it’s rubber.

Hey. No ringers allowed in here. But are you saying you can identify all of them?

1. no.
  2. It’s steel, normally cadmium plated. A shouldered tube of sorts.
  1. Shifter lever bushing?

Yeah, it does look like a shift lever bushing now that you mention it, but no. In early cars I think this piece was black oxide.

nine looks like a lower ball joint shim?

Yes. p/n 15341 (plus two others per thickness spec)

1. Pin bearing cage, transmission. Hard to see it well enough… final answer.
  1. Front oil slinger, engine? (It’s been a while).