Off topic request, 65 Mustang

I have finished my 70 Jag thanks to many replies to questions I asked. If I had found the site 3 years sooner I would have had a 4 speed in stead of a rebuilt automatic, water under the bridge.
Now to the request. I have a 65 Mustang, 22,000 miles, survivor that I needs some work. Does anyone know of a Mustang site similar to Jag-Lovers? I have looked at several and have not found any that compare, most have a lot of ads etc.
Thanks for any help and I still check the J-L site daily.

Regards, Joel.

Can’t help with list but a 289 '65 Mustang is on my retirement list - some years away. Paul

Don’t try to drive it like an Etype, learned the lesson the hard way…

I did it the other way around: first a '71 Mustang, then a 911SC and now a '72 S3. You may try http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/

Regards, Manfred

When I had my 1966 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 I thought that the handling was excellent. A lot of others must have agreed with my opinion as Shelby GT 350s were the SCCA Class B production champions 1965,1966 and 1967 beating among other makes Chevrolet Corvettes AND Jaguar XKEs. Pete

Those '66 Shelby’s were something else. Power and handling and braking tweeked for the track by Caroll Shelby. The combination was very effective. I would love to have one. The handling in a stock '66 Mustang - my best friend has had one for 30 years- isn’t as good as a stock '66 E-type.

The race versions were LIGHT-YEARS worked over, past the stock ones.

I drove a stock One on a track; it was AWFUL. The brakes were awfuler…:confounded:

Exactly, those self adjusting drum brakes on the bog standard 289 had a mind of their own, and Konis all round meant it hopped rather than slewed, didn’t take long for me to lose it into the woods, but I got good money for the salvaged engine, when I bought the Etype, one after the other I saw off all the locals in 454 Transams, Mach ones and Camaro SS , but I/m talking English roads here, as at Le mans in the fifties, you need brakes if you want to drive fast and thats where the E excelled …

Manfred;
Thanks for the site listing, I will start looking.

Regards, Joel.

I had a pair of them. The fast back was titled as a 65, but equipped like a 66. Smog pump and other junk. when I rebuilt it’s engine, I “fixed” that. It came here on 5 of it’s 8. Jumped timing chain? drums all around. Ok, for the street, but I knew better than to heat them up in “canyon carving”. The GT version, which it was not did have discs up front.

Son had one as well. It ate C4’s like candy. A PO had removed the manual and installed the slush box.

The car was sold in Europe as the T5. It did well in saloon

Yep, Shdlby’s Mustangs were likwe the show room cars only in the skin and there not quite.

Leo wanted an IRS and one was tested. But, boosted the costs past target. Abandoned.

My 71 was a nice cruiser and looked good. But it’s PO had badly abused it., I fixed a lot of the stuff, but passed it on. It did have a great set of pipes!!!

I think many parts re still replicated. I could live with one in m,y driveway very nicely.

The 289/302 engines respond nicely to “hopping up”.

Carl.

Edit did not work.

Add “racing” to “saloon”.

Carl

Must have been a California delivery. I don’t think the 49 state deliveries has those for another year or so.

You can probably buy enough parts to practically build a 64-1/2 to 66 from scratch.

Yes indeed, the 289 was what originally powered the Cobra and the first Ford GT 40s.

Tenuous Jaguar connection: Abbey Panels fabricated the E-type bonnets as well as the first chassis for the GT40 program.

Have had a 66 coupe and a 66 fastback. Beautiful looking cars, but in the end a very basic ride - Brakes are sad and fade, handling is terrible - think bad 60s ride. Recently drove a 67 Shelby - flashy, noisy but same ride quality. That was deal breaker for me. On positive side - easy to get parts. You will have lots of friends at car shows as these are very common.

John: Yes, I know that it was. The couple that I bought it from were given it by the parents of one that bought it new here in CA.

Chazbo:

Definitely a basic ride. Leaf springs astern and McPherson up front. Not the best for handling, n either case.

And, under the skin, the platform was a Falcon. I had one of those as well. A future with the 260 V8. Looked great, but under the skin, badly worn. Nice little tudor hard top, though

But, these could be massaged. My son built an oval track racer from one. Big tires and a very hot 351 Cleveland. It ate three speed transmission easily. But, they were cheap and “easily” replaced. It could and di show the far more popular Chevrolet’s the “short” way home.

Carl

1 Like

They can be made to handle nicely for cheap, though. I had a 65 fastback with big sway bars, poly bushings, hard springs, and dropped A arms. 289 with some bolt ons and a T5 swap and that car ripped.

I had a friend who was Donovans road manager, residing in Ca at the time, 1976, he shipped his 500 GT Shelby mustang back here to the UK and I took it out with a manual box on a country road with a bad camber, …after coming off the throttle so that I could get some steerage, I decided it was too lethal for my taste, but what an engine…427ins ??

You mean the Donovan who was/is just mad about Saffron?

She was mad about me!!

My first fastback blew its 289 and grandfather put a 351 Cleveland out of a Mercury Cyclone GT - that thing was fast

That’s right, I worked around an area that was a hotbed of 60s and seventies music celebs, did mosaic on Tom Jones pool and an extension on John Lodges house of the Moody blues, a drunken bunch of jocks called the Marmalade resided next to a block of apartments I built in Wokingham and Moon lived just down the road from me at Chertsey, saw his white Rolls in the hedge one Sat morning, they all seemed to use a one armed body shop guy who painted my car for me, he lost his arm driving a Lotus seven with his arm resting outside the body line against a car coming the other way, Adrian. Our mutual friend was Stuart who worked for Donovan, living in LA along with two sisters I grew up with, Anglo Indian girls known as Sue and Sunny who were Joe Cockers backing singers