Oil filter canister retaining bolt parts

Could someone just confirm I have this assembled correctly, please?

It’s a 140 unit, Tecalemit FA.2690/101. Going by the Jaguar parts catalogue, the retaining bolt is a long one with a pointed end. The hex top is integral with a broad, flat washer surface. Beneath this should go a rubber washer, which sits in the recess on top of the aluminium casting. No extra washers, no other seals for the bolt. Is that correct? When I dismantled this, there was an extra washer loose between the flange on the hex and the rubber washer. This seems to allow it to leak, somehow - without it, it’s OK. So, bolt with flange, rubber washer seal, aluminium casing - yes?
Thanks all,
Roger

The parts manual lists:

2697 Bolt, through filter head
1078 Washer (Steel) under head of bolt
2728 Washer (Rubber) on bolt

So it sounds as if yours was assembled out of order. My guess is that the steel washer is there so the rubber washer isn’t twisted when the bolt is tightened.

Thanks Mike - but I don’t recognise those numbers? My parts book (J.15) has this info, which makes me doubt the extra washer:

There is a flange-head bolt, a flat steel washer and a rubber washer.

Edit: I should have added that the rubber washer is a tight fit on the bolt shank, thus preventing leakage up the center.
Mike is correct as he so often is. The idea of the steel washer is to not rotate with the flange bolt as it is tightened, thus to prevent squirming in the rubber washer.

Yes, that’s what I thought, and it makes perfect sense - but the Jag parts book has me confused. Maybe the 120 didn’t have this extra washer, which was added for the 140? Could be that the parts list/diagram was never amended in later publications, but the numbers are different. My copy of J.15 was published in '56, I think.

The 120 had a different filter head (early FA.2045 or later FA.2678), and a different bolt, larger diameter and no flange, but also with a steel washer and rubber washer.

oil filter 010

They must have dropped the steel washer on the 140 for some reason then, maybe cost??

Roger,

The situation regarding the Bolts and their Washers as presented in the XK 120 and XK 140 SPC’s is a bit confusing.

• Filter FA.2045 (early XK 120) had Bolt 101344 with Rubber Washer 137025/2 and Steel Washer WWA.1010.
  • Filter FA.2678 (later XK 120) had Bolt 101620 with the same Rubber Washer and the same Steel Washer.
  • Filter FA.2690 (early XK 140) had Bolt 102298 with a different Rubber Washer 137015 but still the same Steel Washer.
  • Filter FA.2690/101 (later XK 140) kept the same Bolt but with (again) a different Rubber Washer 137333 and no Steel washer anymore.

Further investigation is probably required but we know that the Bolt of both XK 140 filters had a “flanged head”, whereas some (early) XK 120 bolts I’ve seen, were in fact standard BSF hex head bolts with a point. These will require a Steel Washer in any case. See picture with the bolt below (“stolen” from Tadek).

We may therefore assume that Tecalemit did some tests and concluded that “flanged” Bolt 102298 in combination with the new Rubber Washer 137333 as used on the later XK 140 filter FA.2690/1018, didn’t require a Steel Washer anymore. See also picture below.

Bob K.

This picture I posted earlier is of a FA.2690/101 model from an XK140 engine, and it has a steel washer in addition to the flanged-head bolt.
d099adad30188ffd3ab00a31780880962183ba19_2_281x500

I think you need to be sure that the rubber washer is thick enough that it is compressed between the steel washer and the aluminum cast housing.

I’m sure Bob’s correct, and that for the /101 casing Tecalemit dropped the washer. The photos I posted in post #3 are from the factory parts book, J.15, which are unlikely to be wrong here, I think.
Rob’s right (as usual), the seal here needs to be thick enough. The one Barratt’s supply for late XK140 is pretty thick, more so than the one in Rob’s photo, and does grip around the bolt shaft to aid the seal. I suppose it would be a common fix to use a thinner seal but add a reduced diameter steel washer to compress it below the cast rim.

I have just dug out a /101 XK140 filter unit that I bought from Tom Kent a while back, to see what’s on that. It looks to be in pretty good, possibly original condition.
It has a single rubber seal under the integral flange at the hex-head, which sits neatly under the flange and perfectly fills the machined channel in the top of the filter head. It fits really nicely and would probably be good enough to use. I’ve measured it and ordered something very close in Viton, which I’ll report back on once it arrives.

Obviously, I don’t know, but I suspect this could be an original seal. It is still a tight fit on the bolt shaft, and fits perfectly everywhere else. This is a really substantial seal, and with a drop of oil on it (as you would the filter casing sealing ring) will not twist much when the bolt is tightened, so I’d say no washer needed.

Roger,

That seems the evidence we were looking for. Most “oil cleaners” probably have been rebuild (several times even) or people assembled a good one using a spare older version from the XK 120 or early XK 140 for parts, hence the additional steel washer observed on a /101 filter.

So both XK 140 Filters used Bolt 102298 with a “flanged” hex head. Where the initial version FA.2690 still used the steel washer WWA.1010, this was omitted on the later version FA.2690/101.

Bob K.

I would agree, Bob. Here it is assembled: