Oil filter change, mis-matched parts

Just imagine the plug leads hovering above the dissy cap, rotate the whole assembly CW one pole of the sissy and then pop the leads back in. The rotor will stay in the same relative position when the body is rotated.

1 Like

Hi I attach a small drawing of the distributor
Move it toward the block one pole which should clear the filter
Then advance all the leads by one pole anti-clockwise
The advance depends on the air filter used
Firing order 153624 and number one is at the rear!!
Hope

this helps
Brian

Thanks, that helps!

Hi Kevin
No problem
I attach a data sheet showing various alternate parts and settings
which you may find useful
Please check that the copper vacuum pipe is not too badly kinked and allows air through otherwise it won’t advance the ignition as it should
I am running a 68 saloon with 3.8 motor and have fitted a Kand N style air filter
and it breaths really well
I like your Packard project and the body looks in good shape
Brian

Brian could you please post details of your K&N filter arrangement?

Is there a particular manual that is recommended covering the engine and its componentry? I have a manual coming on the SU carbs, as they need particular attention.

Thanks!

-Kev

This is the orientation of our 3.8L MK2 distributor. If you zoom in, you can see three of the plug wire connection points numbered on the distributor cap. This orientation should improve your oil filter access.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank-you for that! You’re engine looks fantastic

1 Like

Hi Phil
Replying to your question the filter has an internal diameter of 4 inches and the filter is 6 and 1/4 inches long
The engine seems to breathe very easily and comparing it un scientifically down a long straight the engine almost reaches 6,000 rpm whereas, with the original air filter, 5,500 revs come up at the same spot ?
These filters seem to be advertised under the turbo applications in UK and are reasonable prices
Cheers
Brian

Many thanks

With best regards
Philip Dobson