Oil filter conundrum

Yes, 20 minutes away…

I couldn’t locate the order for the filter but believe it was either Terry’s Jag or XKS.

I still have the two that the first supplier listed sold me two years ago. They work well as heavy duty rubber bands.

That is actually who I think I got it from. Any recommendations on who I should go to. Are we allowed to recommend such things? I can’t do anything further anyway until the pressure plate gets here.

Order a WIX from the local O’Rileys. One of them will be correct .

I don’t recall the part number but you’ll find in a search here…

For the filter? Once a year I place an order with Rock Auto for filters for our cars. I buy a WIX filter for the FHC.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=360588&cc=1290675&jsn=398

Great. Thanks Mark. Yes, I have seen the WIX and I think it was O’Rileys. I’ll order that one.

Thanks John. Found it.

1 Like

Russ:

It’s hard to say whether you should use the thick or thin gasket…it all depends on your particular filter-head (part #12) and how it was cast. Try the thick one first and if it doesn’t want to fit inside the groove move to the thinner one.

You will find it incredibly fiddly to install the canister onto the filter-head without disturbing whichever gasket you have installed in the groove.

I use the following trick: after determining which gasket fits best in the filter-head, I remove the gasket and glue it on to the edge of the canister with a few very small dollops of weatherstrip adhesive (don’t get any adhesive inside the canister). Once dried, I press the loaded canister into the groove in the filter-head and hold it steady without rotating it…rotating it will disturb the gasket. With my other hand I start threading the rod into the hole of the filter-head until it’s nice and snug, then tighten it down with a socket wrench (not too tight…the filter head is aluminum!) Visually inspect the entire circumference of the canister to make sure the gasket is safely installed in the groove otherwise you will wind up with a large puddle of expensive motor oil all over the garage floor when you start the engine.

Good luck!
Alan
N.J.

1 Like

Thanks for the information Alan. I am still waiting on delivery of the pressure plate and then will have a go at it.

Just a follow up to my oil filter issues. I had read somewhere on the forum that someone was missing their pressure plate and decided to look in the trash for the old filter, found it and also found the pressure plate still attached to the end of the filter. Well, guess what! I still had the old filter and decided to look on the chance that the same happened to me. Yes, the pressure plate was there. Now, out of curiosity, the pressure plate on the left is the one that I found still attached to the old filter. On the left is the new one I had purchased. The one on the left looks to be two thick washers that were brazed together while the new one is a stamping. Does anyone know if the one on the left might, by chance, be the original pressure plate?

Correction, the one on the right is the new one.

I would go for a home made job, those filters were ubiqutous around that time so a tool would have been used to produce them.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Yep, should be a stamping. The sharpish edge might be why it stayed attached to the filter.

There are two plates that contact the ends of the filter. One is attached to the filter housing so it stays there (or should anyway) when you remove the filter. The other, the one on the right in your picture fits over the distal end of the filter with the depression side facing the filter. A felt washer, flat washer and spring fit in the depression when it’s all assembled.

The piece made of two washers certainly looks home made. I’d guess a previous owner lost the factory piece and fabbed something to work.

It’s easy to accidently toss the factory piece since the It wants to stick to the end of the filter. Kind of like when you have two pieces of glass together with a bit water between them.

Thanks for the clarification. I am in process of completing a new home for my Jag. I have added a new 24 x 24 addition to my garage. Lots of work on my part to get it ready to move her into it. Paneling, electrical, work bench, storage and the list goes on. She is patiently waiting in the back shed waiting to get new oil and grease before I start her up. Then the real fun starts. :grin: