Oil filter housings mk2

Have an early mk2 with upward facing filter canister with 4 x mounting bolts. The later models have a downward facing filter canister presumably so the oil does not drain back but have 5 x mounting bolts. Any advantage in the later type and is it possible to convert.

Have a look at the possibilities here:

http://classicjaguar.com/cjparts/spinon.php

Gerard

The later type oil filter assembly has four bolts and will bolt right on.
You’ll need the proper gasket, though. See pages B.46 and B.47 of your
Service Manual.

Mike Eck
New Jersey, USA
www.jaguarclock.com
'51 XK120 OTS, '62 3.8 MK2 MOD, '72 SIII E-Type 2+2

have 2 x types available and the downward one has 5 x mounting holes. maybe it is off a later model but would be easy enough to drill and tap the extra hole in the block.

It’s confusing, there is a third type, the FA2122. The manual doesn’t show it, but the parts book does. This is the one with 5 mounting holes. Have a check, is the 5th hole hidden behind the gasket? You never know with Jaguar.

That’s the one I was thinking of fitting as it points down and stops the oil from draining out of the element. Easy job to drill and tap the 5th mounting hole in the block. Is this my best option.

I’m not sure you need to drill a hole, see the attached thread. Also according to Nigel Thorley’s excellent book Original Jaguar MkI and MkII: “Nov 1960 revised siting of oil filter facing downwards” and “Sept 1962 Oil filter housing modified to 5 mounting bolts”

Thanks for that thread…I see the gasket part covering the tapped hole
in the block. Confident now to drill and tap that hole in my block and
mount the FA2122 filter housing with 5 x mounting bolts.

I think your find the 5th hole is already in the block , I may be wrong !
If there is not a hole , why make one ?
The 4 bolt oil filters do the job just as good as the 5 :slight_smile:

Just for the record. FA2122 late MK2/SType and 420.

Peter B.