Oil filter relief valve 'spider' missing

Hi all, I’m installing a ‘K’ series engine from a Mk1 (KE2153-8) into my XK140 and when i took apart the Tecalmit oil filter head there is no ‘spider’ for the oil pressure relief valve - just the small piston and the spring. Is it possible to find a ‘spider’?
thanks,
james

Do you mean item C18?
Jaguar part number 2713
Tecalemit 118076

Have you tried SNG Barratt?

Hi Rob, I do have C18, but I thought there should be a piece at the other end of the spring called the Spider as shown in other filter heads - I guess I don’t need it.

Thanks very much for your help!

Cheers,
James

James,

Jaguar used (initially) two types of oil pressure relief valves. One type for the early ones (XK 120 and 140, see pic 1) ) and another type for the later XK 150 versions (picture 2). These later versions had a so called “stop pin” which others may call “spider”.
See pictures below. Don’t know which version the Mk 1 Saloon had.

Bob K.

Thanks Bob,

Looking at the pictures I received from Rob, it seems like the Mk1 just had a spring and small piston, which is what I have. Hopefully this is correct.

Here’s a picture of my valve and spring:

James,
Had another look.The Mk 1 Oil Filter is much different from the XK 120/140 and/or the XK 150 filters.
The Mk 1 and Mk 2 have a non-adjustable Relief Valve, and most likely with an external drainage of oil to the sump (via a rubber hose). So we cannot compare these Oil Relief Valve systems, nor their components.

Bob K.

The piece at the top is the lock for the timing chain tensioner. You push it in so you can turn the front serrated wheel to adjust upper timing chain tension. The spring is way to long for this part and way to small for the relief valve spring.

1 Like

That is NOT the oil pressure relief valve

Thanks Phil and Dick - I realize now that the PO had mislabelled this item, it is indeed the timing locking pin, not the Oil pressure relief valve. I will order a new relief valve and spring.

thanks,
James