Oil in my front carb. Any thoughts

I am getting oil in my front carb … any thoughts

If not from a crack in the damper tube, it Can really only be from one source: the breather tube.

Disconnect it, rig up a temp hose, into an old oil bottle (or milk jug), and then see if that eliminates it.

Thanks
I’m sure it is from the brather tube but why does this happen and how do I stop it

If the breather is spewing that much oil, it is almost certainly the result of blowby, itself a function of worn piston rings, or worse.

Rebuild the engine.

B4 you tear down the motor, inspect the breather at the top of the cylinder head. It’s possible that the screen is missing.

Ka-Ching.

But first I’ll ask -

• How full is the crankcase? To what point on the dipstick do you keep it?
  • How much ‘oil in the carb’ are we talking about?
  • Sounds like you’re saying it is only in the front carb. Right?

And… welcome to the J-L Forum Doug.

Said breather, the screen is under this:

Welcome Doug, on my Series 1 the crankcase gases return to the carb plenum. Before my engine rebuild the plenum collected the oil as it fell out of the stream of gas. There was also oil in all three carbs but most in the front two - closest to the incoming pipe. Expect yours is the same setup? Nil oil post rebuild. Paul.

If you have access to watch the Wheeler Dealers TV show look for season 9 episode 9. He works on a Mk 2 that is blowing oil from the breather tube. He shows how to pull the cover and clean the screen. Might be worth a look to see if it seems like same symptoms you are having.

David
68 E-type FHC

Thanks guys for the help. I have had this apart a while ago and I don’t believe there is a screen in it. I’ll check this weekend and let you know

Aha…that could be the issue: get one, and see ing that lessens the oil.