Oil pressure off the scale and oil leak at filter

I would snap up that Ebay Housing, reasonable price,
cant see any dent on the front or rear upper rim

They would come up from time to time, or be able to be sourced by that seller probably,
but you will be back on the road right away…as I mentioned MK2 and some others wont fit

As he appears to be a reputable seller of used Jag parts, he would probably allow return if it is dented on the inner lip

I only changed my one with a dented lip cause I had a good spare one,
a small dent could be carefully dressed with small files imo

Most rare MKX-420G parts are available, especially in UK,
as quite a few cars get wrecked, but it pays to snap up some vital spares
when the chance arises, to avoid frustration

I would also examine the top of the metal cannister under x 10 mag or more, as the listed item is without. If its been cut or ground down, that should show. OEM item should look, I dunno, but like an OEM finish would!..dont think I have a spare cannister not fitted to an engine to measure…but I may have.

dont know whether packing washers would rectify the situation, the right fibre washer may work

As for the bolt being too long , find a nut with the same thread , wind it up the thread of the bolt , so 5mm or so of thread is showing , then cut the thread off , then wind the nut further up the bolt , file the edges off the thread , then take the nut off :+1:

It runs! And doesn’t leak anymore!

I was right, the bolt was too long for the canister. No idea why, but the issue was solved by a new housing (as I broke the old one), new O-ring and bottom seal, and a 2cm high spacer between the head of the bolt and the rubber seal at the bottom of the canister.

Oil pressure at 60 on startup, no leaks. It sputtered a little and then decided to run beautifully. Oil pressure when the engine was warm and thermostat opened settled at just over 50…

Happy happy happy!

Only thing I’m slightly nervous about is that the bolt head is now level with the bottom of the sump, so if I hit a speed bump, it may hit the bolt and take the canister with it. So, having proven what the issue is, I can now (carefully) drive it somewhere with a car lift, take the canister off, shorten the bolt and re-fix. Much easier than lying on the floor.

Paul

1 Like