Oil pump pickup and Delivery tube from Pump is loose at seal

I am installing the oil pump pickup tube and delivery tube. I put in the appropriate seals, (I think). There are four seals that came with Lower Gasket kit. one smaller thicker seal, one smaller thinner black seal, one larger green seal and one thinner black seal. when I insert the pickup and delivery pipes there is still some play and the pipes can fairly easily move. I have tried using different configurations with the seals provided but no luck. I am concerned air will leak through these and prevent the suction and circulation of oil. Is this normal? It seems the seals should be just a hair bit thicker?
Thanks
Holden

I meant to say O ring but said seal instead

This is an '86 Series 3 engine you have, right? I’m not familiar with anything that new, but certainly there should be no air leaks in the pickup, the thing would not suck up oil as it should. It is not unusual for gasket kits to be wrong, missing little things and including things not necessary on all engines. Better post a picture or two.

Yes it is a series 3 engine. here are a few pics. I just seems like it should fit more snuggly to get a good suction? The first picture has the provided O ring. The second the pickup tube is attached. I don’t feel very confident it is airtight!

This is how I had to insert my pick up pipe, maybe I’m just getting old and weak?
This is in a 3.4 ‘S’ motor but the principle would be the same.

You would not need a mallet on mine… on either side? What am I doing wrong?

IIRC I was also concerned about how sloppy
the fit was at that junction with the new O-ring, so I substituted a thicker O-ring
to get a tighter connection.

Mike Eck

New Jersey, USA

www.jaguarclock.com

'51 XK120 OTS, '62 3.8 MK2 MOD, '72 SIII E-Type 2+2

Yea, I was thinking the same thing, but I live in the boondocks! That is very frustrating when they supply a whole gasket kit with such poor quality. I will find out the name of the brand and post it. I bought it at XK’s Unlimited. I also bought a new chrome engine nut kit from them. I was very disappointed with the quality of the Chrome work!

If it’s a lose fit going up a O ring size or 2 should help , not sure about using a press to fit the pipe thou , how do you know the O ring is not damaged ?
Think I would place the O ring in boiling water for a few min’s , then fit it , and smear a little rubber grease on the O ring !

I have tried 3 different new ones from XK’s.I found one almost identical from the local hardware store. It was a little better but not ideal. I need to try a new source, any ideas? I will try boiling it. If I could find one that is just a little thicker, I am sure it would work.
Thanks!

I chamfered the end of the pick up and used rubber grease to ease the insertion.

Harbor Freight sells o-rings in an assortment.
McMaster-Carr sells specific sizes in several choices of elastomer; you have to buy 100 but they are not very expensive.
You want an oil resistant rubber such as Buna-N or Viton or fluorosilicone, not neoprene.