Oil sender unit

Hi Pegleg
I am trying to remove the oil pressure sender unit.
Any suggestions on how to remove it ? What do I need to remove, to get to it? I have taken off the maf unit still having trouble.
Thank you Pegleg.

As usual, this subject comprehensively covered in the XJ40 archives - e.g.

Bryan_N
Thanks for the reply.
My xj40 is a 1988 model, is it the same to remove the sender unit?
Why take the tyre off ?
Why remove the maf unit and elbow?
Thanks Pegleg.

Well I have never done that job so I assume that there are different ways of tackling it as you could probably discover by doing a further search on the XJ40 archives- possibly by someone with an ‘88.
Just enter “XJ40 oil sender removal” in the search field for more examples of the procedure

I fashioned a ‘special-tool’ about 25 years ago.

bob

That’s a very interesting crows foot motorcarman. As long as it gets the job done I guess.

Motorcarman
Thanks, what are the dimensions to make that spanner?
What did you remove to access the sender unit?
Thank you Pegleg.

The original OP sending unit is 7/16 BS. The AF measurement is almost exactly 18mm so I bought a Blue Point 18mm combination wrench from a Snap-On truck that sold tools to our shop. A 7/16 British Standard wrench is hard to find and I did NOT want to modify my Snap-ON 7/16 BS wrench (Expensive!!)

I bought the wrench (about $18) and walked in the shop over to the vise and fired up the OXY-ACETYLENE torch to bend it into shape. The Snap-On guy started screaming and ‘feaking-out’ that he was ‘NOT GOING TO WARRANTY THE WRENCH!’

I told him that ‘SPECIAL TOOLS’ are not meant to be returned for warranty.
I welded an old/cheap 3/8 drive socket to the ring spanner end.

The tool started to bend on the attempt to remove the sender so I welded an additional cheap (Taiwan?) wrench shank (cut on both ends) to the modified wrench midsection for torsional rigidity.

The oil pressure sender broke free and I ‘twirled’ the old one loose and installed the new one. I tightened the new one with the wrench and it has been a ‘special tool’ ever since.

Make sure the AF size is correct before you modify a wrench.

bob

wylde8Brett

8h

That’s a very interesting crows foot motorcarman. As long as it gets the job done I guess.

I did not have time to mess around with ‘what-if-I do-this’. The tool guy showed up when I needed a ‘special-tool’ and the other guys in the shop had ‘crow-foot’ wrenches that would NOT reach deep enough behind the diameter of the OP sending unit!! (no access to the square drive)

I had ‘flare-nut’ crowfoot wrenches that would not work. They are mostly closed at the end.
I have used crow foot 3/8 drive and a punch and hammer but it is difficult to access and strike the short little wrench.
bob

Hi Pegleg, when I changed mine recently I made a tool the same as Bob’s.
Actually I made two because the replacement sender unit I had was a different size for the wrench. The pair I made were not as professional looking as Bob’s but seeing as I’m not in the trade and it was a 'once only 'job they worked fine.
I cut the correct sized 19mm and 21mm spanners and tacked them at right angles to old 1/2" drive socket extensions with my arc welder. I then just used an adjustable wrench on the square end of the extension. I didn’t have to remove anything from the engine and once the tools were made it took about ten minutes to complete the job.

After all this ingenious custom special tool fabrication work sounds like you could rent this tool out to those needing to change the sender unit.

Certainly not knocking your tool motorcarman. On the contrary, I actually think its quite ingenious.

Its been 15+ years since I changed mine in the car. Unfortunately, I have no recollection of how I did it. However, I am certain I just used an open end wrench. Back then I didn’t have things such as a crows foot, and definitely not the ability to fabricate a tool. Not sure if I got to it from the top or bottom of the car.

I did use a short cut-off short wrench with a long punch to loosen the sender before I made my ‘special-tool’. It is just that there is not always the correct angle for the wrench/punch setup and the fiddley method of getting the wrench in place.

There are several ways to get the sender off for replacement. I just wanted a tool since I worked on these cars everyday for years.

bob

Thanks to everyone who responded to my problem.
I was able to make an open ended type crowfoot spanner , removed the oil filter to gain access to the sender unit, have some bruises on my hands and arms.
Thanks again Pegleg.