Oil Sump Adaptor O-ring replacement

Well after the usual abuse of the english language I got the oil filter housing out. There were two bolts in the back that were a real pain to access. I almost dropped the steering rack to get better access - I think I located the leak - there is a discolored area where the adaptor portion connects to the housing, and the o-ring looks scared. I suspect from the heat over the years? See the attached photos.

Waiting on o-rings and gasket - should have today. I little worried about putting those two bolts back in

Wondering if I should include some additional heat insulation around the adaptor.

Check the mating face of the filter housing for flatness. Early ones reportedly would distort, resulting in leaks. Supposedly the fix was to switch to a later design housing.

My ‘88 was distorted; I dressed it flat with file before I reassembled it. I assumed it was because someone had been there before; was an all paper gasket gooped up with orange silicone seal. Wasn’t leaking there, it was the middle o ring on mine.

Ouch. If they’re still getting distorted on an 1988, clearly the later designs didn’t correct the problem. I guess everyone should check this part for flatness whenever they get an opportunity. And perhaps we should discuss possible fixes, although offhand I can’t think of one short of having John_john fab us some new filter heads out of unobtainium!

Had same leak in same place.
The O-rings get hard with age and heat.
Yes, make sure all surfaces are flat.

A heat shield would definitely not harm.

You should always check for flatness anytime you reseal a flange-type joint; don’t know how many thousands of times I’ve come across bowed surfaces or pulled up threads.

Got the o-rings and gasket replaced. Dropped the steering rack to get more access. I also installed some flexible heat shield. Not sure it will help- but want try. got the rack back in place, just need to install the cats (need new rings). then it will be time to give it a test. That won’t happen till next weekend - gotta get back to life tomorrow.

Did you do all that without pulling the pressure relief valve out and checking it?

I pulled the valve - you can see it in one of the photos above - looked fine - but no I didn’t think of checking it (good point).