Okay, tell me the bad news

I was greasing the front end and came across this surprise on the left side- and not a pleasant one.

How bad?

Right side is the same.

I’d say it could have been a whole lot worse if the nut had come off !!

It just looks like the rubber boot has disappeared? I’m not sure about the ‘E’ but with the saloons the upgrade is to go with the sealed for life units (Lemforder)

1 Like

Yup they fit E-types also, 45 bucks and done.

If the ball joint is still tight you will want to at least to replace the boot (gaiter). This is a fairly simple procedure though it does involve separating the joint - best done with a special (but inexpensive) tool:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-joint-separator-99849.html

There are specific replacement boots available but I have used a generic version and it has performed well (5 years):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CN5F14/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You should also inspect the upper ball joints - if the lowers are this bad the uppers can’t be too good either.

2 Likes

Ball joint boots, like all things made of rubber in the 60’s, don’t last forever. The upper, tie rod outer boots may be close behind. Buy the best ball joints and you shouldn’t have to worry about this again.

1 Like

Carlo. I believe you just bought this car? The fact that you are greasing it indicates to me that you are getting ready to drive it. Have you had a safety inspection done on it? If you have you need to get another one done as this should not have been missed. If you have not had it inspected you need to get one done by someone familiar with e types before even thinking about getting on the road with it. If both lower ball joints look like this there is a very high probability that there are a bunch of serious safety issues with front and rear suspension steering and brakes.

1 Like

If the joints are loose, remove and replace with the Lemforder sealed units for an XJ40.

1 Like

Might you know a part #? There are a few on Amazon. Thanks

Yeah, those gone, also.

That lower ball joint is not loose on the taper, it’s just lost the gaiter. But if dirt has got in there, it’s probably best to change it anyway.

2 Likes

Everything is tight, you’re right. Is there a procedure for changing out the ball joints- upper and lower, or change just the boots? Thanks

They are JLM11860 at SNG at 85 bucks or less. They are lower ball joints for an 1986 -93 XJ6 and probably other cars since then. Might be available at your local parts store like Auto Zone as well.

1 Like

Amy particular year XJ40?

No they are all the same.

1 Like

I’ll try the local parts stores first.

Ok, thanks. Good info.

I have a service manual so changing these isn’t my problem, it’s how to jack the car while doing the job is what I need to know. Maybe it’s me, but the manual is vague.

Thank you
Carlo

it’s how to jack the car while doing the job is what I need to know

That’s a good question. I used a block of wood under the picture frame ( cross member in front of the engine,. NOT under the radiator ). The wood is shaped to fit between the flanges that point down. Floor jack lifting until I can get jackstands under the A-arm front pivots.

One of my first projects on my car was to replace every piece of old rubber : Hoses, belts, mounts ( engine, trans, irs, rack ),bushings, boots ect.

Enjoy, Tom

Carlo,. Where in Florida are you? You might be near a Lister who is helpful.