Old car vs. modern car reliability

[quote=“Lundabo, post:55, topic:358421”]

My '78 International Scout II was “designed to last 1 million miles” had a V345 with sodium filled and Stellite faced valves, Torqueflite trans and Dana 44s…they did rather seem to forget about rust-proofing though

1 Like

I love this thread. Thought provoking and bring up facts and issues with old cars. Virtually everything we love can be had in a modern car, 500hp Mustang, 750hp Vette just launched. Nice noise, awesome performance, leather smell and not ugly. I can’t love these cars though, anybody with some cash can have one. Old cars have been loved for years, have seen a lot of things, wish they could talk. Old cars also had character, each one was slightly different. I remember well in the 60s when two like cars performed completely differently, there were good ones, bad ones and lemons, we had a relationship with them. I had a great '55 chevy, it was faster than the average one, why? Tolerances I assume, it was just the right combo of bits during assembly. New will never equal old but it depends on what we cherish.

Oh and happy Thanksgiving to all :slight_smile:
pauls

3 Likes

I think that we’re all aware that our cars don’t really make sense if you look at them from a purely rational or financial standpoint.

In many cases we form a bond to a car because it was the model that a parent, uncle, neighbor drove, the car which we wanted, but couldn’t have back in the day (or had, but sold).

In my case, a large part of it is using skills that I learned when young, and remembering having learned them from my father.

3 Likes

Getting back to the original question how far from stock are you willing to go? Putting comfort aside, such as better seats, power steering power windows and power brakes. Jaguar/Rover is rebuilding the original XKE and will add just about any modern convenience that you want, all it takes is money. So would adding fuel injection, electronic ignition, an alternator and a new engine from another brand auto maker be too much over the limit? I don’t see the engine really being a problem but it would give piece of mind on a cross county trip. Would replacing the other items make the car more reliable? How about the wiring harness would a new one beat the “Prince of Darkness”? Or would all the other components need to be replaced? Would you be happy with the shell and interior of the car looking like it is and replacing everything that can’t be seen? Eagle makes a reproduction XKE but the cost is about $800,000 and takes a year and a half to build. So I guess the question is if Jaguar put the XKE back into production as a new car and priced right would you buy it over an old car?

Yep, another piece of the magic. Lusted after but couldn’t have back in the day. When I could have it (10 years later) ration played no part in its purchase.
pauls

Hi Art,
Well that is the heart of the matter isn’t it. At what point is it George Washington’s axe?

For me I’m very happy with where I’m at with EDIS, Wilwood Brakes, Coolcat fans and radiator, SS heater pipes, poly bushings, and triple SU’s. But as Jerry M. used to say, there’s nothing wrong with these cars as they came from the factory. In proper fettle they are excellent!
JM2CW,
Cheers,
LLynn

Indeed, and most all those mods take nothing away from the car…except make them more reliable.

Very interesting comments and view points on these “old” cars. I am not sure I always see them as “old”, as I still remember them when they were not so old. I just simply enjoy them. I especially enjoy driving them. As someone said, they have character. I do not enjoy the electronics, the power steering, the bells and whistles, etc… of newer cars. Although not as reliable as new cars, and requiring much more maintenance, I do not see them as unreliable, and I see little need to “upgrade” them, unless because of ease or cost. Ride wise, quiet wise, A/C wise, new are better. Drive wise, I love the older ones.
Tom

Amen to that. Also have his lathe, welding kit and many hand tools.

I’m pretty sure that none of my modern cars was worth substantially more than I paid for it after 55,000 miles, whereas my E-Type …

Owning an E-Type in a classic car sellers market sure takes the sting out of 20 mpg and 3,000 mile service intervals, as long as it is the right classic car. My Dad’s very little used Bentley rushes him £thousands per mile AND it depreciates.