Old XK120 Brake Shoes - Keep or Scrap?

I have a big bin of XK120 brake shoes. Are they worth keeping, or should I just scrap them?

1 Like

I would suggest keeping them till the restoration is complete. (Just in case). At that point maybe offer them up for the price of shipping in case others have a need for shoes to reline.

1 Like

This is the philosophy that resulted in a bin full of old brake shoes! :joy:

3 Likes

Hi Mike,
They don’t appear to me to be 120 brake linings, as both ends on 120 shoes are curved to allow self centering and there are supporting struts from the center backbone to the curved face. I’m guessing others may recognize them.

Best regards,
Tom Brady

1 Like

Appear to be early shoes with bonded linings. Probably better than repros.

Mike; If they an early shoe, I’ll buy an axle set please. thx. Harold Lang

1 Like

I could have used a set of those a few years back when I was having mine relined and had to wait a couple of months. Agreeing with Mike, original shoes are better than repros.
PICT0094

It is always prudent to have a full car set of spare shoes to avoid long delay times when a problem occurs with ones in service.

Just one thing to keep in mind…if the linings are old, they are likely to be asbestos. This makes it impossible to import freely into countries like Australia and numerous others. Quarantine holds it until it is cleared by testing and certification. If not, it goes into the disposal bin and you get a bill for disposal.

1 Like

very late XK120 or XK140 ???

Hello Mike,

I am in need of two of the brake shoes as shown in the photo that Rob Reilley posted. If you are willing to part with two please email off line,

Regards, Geoff

1 Like

There are some of that type on the bottom.

Give us a picture of them all spread out and we can identify them.
The ones with a notch in the foot like mine are for the Micram adjusters.

1 Like

That is a keen observation. Anything larger than a business envelope requires a Customs Declaration.

Drill out the rivets or chip off the linings with a chisel. The steel is the only valuable part. Declare them as used auto parts. The local truck brake shop can reline them.

2 Likes

Here is a group photo. 20 total.

Here’s the breakdown.

12 of them have a distinctive notch on one end. The two on the far right (with the coat of racin’ red spray paint) are riveted, the rest bonded.

Four of them have the reinforcing strips, rounded ends with no notch and riveted linings.

Two have rounded ends, no notch, no reinforcement bars bonded linings.

Two have square ends with no rounding or notch and riveted linings. One is too rusty to use.

The 120 currently has XK150 disc brakes on the rear, but I can make a good argument for drum brakes and a bomb-proof hand/parking brake.

My intent here is to keep 4 of these I can use with the backing plates in the photo below, if I decide to switch. Everything else is surplus to my needs.