One for a real e-type sage; squeaking noise in front of driver

Marco
Thanks, but can you reference what image or supplier you’re usng for “bushing #17”?

He’s speaking of the throttle bracket bushing, part #C24816.

](SNG Barratt UK | Keeping your Jaguar on the road)

Throttle Bracket Bush Photo

You should be able to click on the attachment in my message and see item # 17. It is the item that James is showing in the photo.

In case you cant open it

You can just make your own. Make note of how far that metal flange is behind the slot when the rod is locked, and pick up some self adhesive weatherstrip a little thicker so it has some squish. I can’t recall if it’s 1/4 or 1/2" thick. Then unclip the rod and unscrew it inside and extract it to see the size of the flange you are covering. Get strip material that wide. Stick it on and trim it flush and reinstall.

I’ve got it now,thanks

Thanks for the instructions, maybe one of the easier fixes lately…

This seems like the biggest clue to me. Something in the steering mech night be squeaking when static but jostled over bumps. There are a lot of candidates i.e. bushings, brackets, U-joints maybe event he boot on the throttle control housing. WD-40 one location at a time might find it, Then use a proper lube or replace the part.

Rick OBrien
65 FHC in FL

Had a couple of squeaks that drove me crazy. Came from deceptive places . One was turn signal clamshell on the column. The other was the center windshield support rod- roadster though.

This. If it’s “directly in front of the driver,” have you ruled out the steering bushes? These are plastic-y something-or-other (Nylon? Bakelite?) pieces with built in obsolescence and which disintegrate. The first sign is a squeak, then your steering column gets loose, and then the disintegrating bushings allow the column to dig in and short your horn wires, resulting in a horrible “honk onk onk onk onk” when you turn the wheel, much to the consternation of your date and the car in front of you.

One thing I’ve noticed when tracking down odd noises on cars is often they are not where you think they are. Case in point. The Boss told me her car was making an odd noise and it seemed to be coming from the left rear of the car. I replaced the right front inner tie rod end and the source of the noise was eliminated.

I’d start with the simplest things to access and work my way to the hardest. Just about any lubricant, from soapy water to axel grease will help you find the problem.

On mine, the bush in the throttle bracket had seized on the shaft and flogged out the bracket. Sounded like your description, but only on steady, light throttle; accelerate, or decelerate and the spring tension took up the slack. Unable to replicate unless driving along.

If you takeoff the center mufflers, and use SuperTrapps on the back? You don’t hear the squeaks… :slight_smile: