"One of the Ugliest Cars of the '70s"?

Hey, I actually loved the flip-up “flounder” headlights on those models … as well as being that it was the fastest U.S. production car at the time (or at least the most HP ?). But you’re right, the back end of the car looked more like an AMC Pacer or something than a Porsche :-1:

Hey, I liked that model of Porsche, too, Kirby and hoped back then I could somehow own one (esp. the 6 cyl. version), but the price on them just was too steep … despite being “ugly” :moneybag:

Wow. News to me. I assumed the floor plan of the saloons would be bigger than that of the XJS. Guess I was wrong :flushed:

So what about the claim that the fuel crunch was the reason behind the XJ-S not being so popular in the '70s? Also, if it was not a sports car but a “Grand Luxury Tourer”, as claimed, did it not have the initials “GT” somewhere in the name - e.g. X-GT, XJS-GT, etc.? Always thought the “S” was for “sports (car)”, too … :confused:

Well, the car was introduced pretty much right when the oil crisis hit. Unfortunate timing. Perhaps the bigger issue, though, was that much of the public was anxiously waiting to see what Jaguar would do to follow up on the E-type, and the XJ-S was a serious disappointment in that regard. First off, it was aimed at the luxury market rather than the performance market, which is actually a completely different market. Those who had been waiting to buy “the next E-type” turned elsewhere, not a one of them was interested in an XJ-S. Meanwhile, the people who would be interested in an XJ-S needed to be attracted to the showrooms, as they hadn’t been following Jaguar’s foibles.

It surprised me when Checker went out of business. …I published "Taxicab Scrapbook " in 1979…researched a lot about Checker…corresponded with the late David Markin son of founder.

I assumed the floor plan of the saloons would be bigger than that of the XJS.

I wouldn’t have said floorpan, that’s just some bent sheets of metal you bolt the seats to. In todays parlance it was more like platform engineering. Having worked on a SI XJ6, and owned a SIII XJ6 and XJ12, there are a large number of similarities and crossover parts in the running gear compared to an early XJ-S. The whole of the rear axle subframe is the same, the front suspension and brakes are the same, only the spring rates are different.

And that platform engineering continued under Ford ownership with the XJ-S being the base that the Aston Martin DB7 was built on. My XJR-S has lowered DB7 springs.

How much for a copy?
:grimacing:

Most cars from the 70s and 80s were ugly (so were clothes!).

Only a few have aged well. The XJS is one of them!

I look at those “quizes” or whatever you want to call them,and I’ve found that most of them have to be written by 18 or so year olds that are just putting stuff down to feel like they know stuff. I was looking at one yesterday that was “what was the most popular Halloween costume on the year you were born” needless to say I had to disagree with the majority of them. Several times I have gotten partway through one and closed it because of how completely wrong they were on stuff. However, I will say I still like the 928, and miss the clothes of the 80’s lol :grin:

1 Like

My S1 SWB XJ6 runs on Eibach DB7 springs :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the XJ-SC with the rear removable hard top is the has the best lines.

1 Like

Amen, Greg. I always think of the '80s as the “armpit” of two things - car styling and rock music. :-1: The cars that decade just seemed to all look alike, or just “plain”. After the millennial change, cars started to make a comeback as to “individuality”, IMHO.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:80s music rules! Lol :grin::grin: :grin::grin: :grin::grin: :grin:

2 Likes

Well… some of it!

:wink:

1 Like

For some reason, the Big Three automakers got on a kick of putting undersized tires and wheels on their cars. Looked stupid.

I kinda liked some of the 80’s music, though. Every single track was better than any rap of today.

2 Likes

On THAT, we agree! Plus a quarter note.

1 Like

Some book dealers on intnet have some…sold out years ago…was sold by Hemmings and Motorbooks Int…an acquaintance of mine took the concept and produced a larger actually better book THE AMERICAN TAXI by Merkel and Monier…they credited me for the idea…of course this book came out some years after mine.

I also have a HHR PANEL TRUCK…looks retro…35 mpg…doesnt ride as quiet as Jaguar. …I like quietFB_IMG_1571489959118

1 Like

A good example of how ugly cars got from mid-70’s to late 80’s, just look at the Ford Mustang.

Luckily the Jaguar XJS had early 70’s styling, and they didn’t change it much at all.

How often do you hear about a 78 or 84 or 88 Mustang? Almost never.