Opalescent Silver Blue Paint

The Glasurit formula Jag-7410S and the RM formula 7410 for 1967 Opalescent Silver Blue are no longer being mixed. The Glasurit and RM websites show that formula 016 is available but only in the 90 line (waterbased) and not in the 55 (two stage) line. The Glasurit website also lists for all 1967 jaguars the silver blue color codes of 502, U2684 and a code for a paint from 1958 to 1971. Has anyone used one of these other colors as a substitute for 7410 or 016? Are there other brands of paint that you would recommend in place of Glasurit and if so what is the color code? If the car requires opalescent silver blue what would you do? Thanks for the advice!

are you painting it yourself?
I was intending Spes Hecker but the painter I finally found, while willing and having done SH in the past, was now using Martin Seynor’s best products and said he considered those giving him the best results. So though I was willing to pay the (double) price of SH, I went with what the painter was most comfortable with.

I would think anyone mixing quality paint could cross those numbers over and show you a paint chip card…then you can probably pick from 4 “shades” of the same. That was my experience.

1 Like

I used the PPG Aston Martin OSB color (waterborne) I’ve been pleased with the results.
RC Let me know if you need the number for the color.

3 Likes

oooooo. Sweet.
Can you do water based without baking it in an oven after?

I worked with my painter to develop an OSB version that I liked, using RM base/clear IIRC. We went through 5 or 6 formulations before finally reaching the color I wanted.

2 Likes

The guys that painted this do you bake the paint I can refer you to them if you want to ask him about the nuances. This is the third car they’ve done for me and I’ve been very pleased with all of them. They took classes from Chip Fudge and we’re taught to finish getting the base coat down and then apply a very thick Clearcoat layer. About eight coats or so. After this sits for about a month the car is in wet sounded starting with 800 grit and they sound on the car for the better part of two weeks until they’ve got it to 5000 grit. At this point there’s hardly any need to run a buffer on it and the clearcoat is about the right thickness. There are virtually no sand scratches.
P.S. my car is a 66 also.
Richard

Richard

Hi Bill
The main difference between waterborne and solvent-based paints is the drying process. Solvents are cured through controlling temperature, where waterborne paints are controlled through humidity. In addition, controlling the atmosphere of your spray booth is also critical, with more powerful air flow enabling the faster drying process of the paint.

In a standard paint booth air moves across the surface of the product. The problem is that a pocket of air can form around the product and within the pocket moisture can become trapped. The trapped moisture will further slowdown the dry time of the product as it will reduce the speed which water evaporates from the coating. Heat helps slightly in the curing of waterborne paint, but its primarily used to make for a consistent, controlled atmosphere to avoid issues during the application of the material. Water has to be wicked away from the surface to accelerate curing time and this will require the disruption of air pockets surrounding the part being painted. To achieve this, air that flows against the natural flow of the spray booth exhaust air is required.

PPG have developed a waterborne Clear Coat, but in the majority of cases, its only the Base Coat that is waterborne with the Clear Coat being a solvent based 2K material.

Brent

2 Likes

Thomas, the statement “is no longer being mixed” seems a little strange. The formulas don’t just go away, they exist. It may be that 55 line cannot be used by the repair shops in your area due to air quality requirements and thus the jobber doesn’t have the constiuent components on his mix rig anymore. In my area (NC) Glasurit has a tech rep and he covers a wide multi state area i.e. he deals with a variety of air quality jurisdictions. I would suggest you find the same guy in your area and see what he says. I am spraying 55 line in Opalescent Golden Sand on my car. It is a great product. I would not settle for less without doing a little more digging. That said, if your painter is up to speed with water based products from Glasurit, don’t be afraid to let him go that route. I would guess all the high end cars coming out of Germany are using it so the process is well established.

Which RM formula was your starting point and what adjustments were done to the final formula? Was this in the diamont line? Thanks for replying to all.

Hi Harvey,
What was meant by the statement “is no longer being mixed” is that Glasurit customer service told me that some of the toners for the 7410S formula are no longer being made and this formula is not listed on their website. Most websites such as XKE data state that 7410S is the current Glasurit code for E Type Opalescent Silver Blue. On the Glasurit website they now list 016 as the formula for 1967 E Types in OSB but only in the 90 line because the A427 toner is no longer in production. My painter uses the 55 line but is hesitant to use the 90 waterbased line. I checked the Glasurit website and Opalescent Golden Sand is available in both the 55 and 90 line. I would like to use the 55 line so that is why I asked if anyone had experience with the three other colors and how close they are to 7410S or 016. My painter did a spray out in 502 but it looks a little too silver to me

Tom, that makes sense. See my pm.

Hi Tom,
If you were able to have the paint mixed to the formula you want, do a spray out of that colour then take that spray out to have it scanned, its quite likely the result may be a formula for a totally different make of vehicle and not the exact formula you just had mixed…

If you have any part of the car that has the colour you want, or you can get your hands on a car, or part that has the colour you want, have it scanned and record the formula and call it Jaguar OSB. We do this quite often when the original formula is not available and provided the formula is recorded for the future, you have no problem.

Brent

Tom,

My painter asked me to find a modern paint and use that as a starting point. I looked at dozens of cars and silver-blue colors and chose the Azure Pearl (Toyota 8Q6) I saw on an Lexus SC 430. From there, we fiddled around to reduce the metallic and increase the blue and silver saturation some. By the fifth or sixth sample shot the painter was getting a tad weary, but I persisted until we got to the color I wanted.

Here’s the formula.

Paint formula for Jag 12 22 20.pdf (297.1 KB)

When you settle on your color, give us a look.

Bob

jdjagguy, I’m a little late to the party & new to this site. I stumbled across the stunning OSB paint in the picture of the car body on the stand you posted here. Am I correct in understanding this is a PPG Aston Martin color? You volunteered the number for the color and I am extremely interested for the paint code and what, if any, adjustments you made to get such a sweet looking OSB. Thank you.

Hello Bill
We made no changes to the color. This is a base coat - clear coat type of paint system. I can likely connect you with the painter if you need further detail.
What part of the world are you located in ?
Richard C

Thanks for the reply Richard. I’m in the Pacific NW (Washington). The closest color I can identify from the Aston Martin color palate is Skyfall Silver. Is this what the painter used? Also, H2O based paint is fine by me.