Operating without air trumpets on series III e-type

Today, I took the rubber connectors off the air intake trumpets to see what effect the trumpets restricted air flow to the engine. As others have noted, taking them off increased intake roar, but did allow the engine to pull more strongly toward redline. Im not sure the increased airflow is noticeable below 5k rpm, but it is noticeable above. Noise increase is noticeable at all speeds. Think I will probably reattach the connectors.

1 Like

I have mounted an aluminium pipe (60mm wide and 1 mm thick) instead of the original inlet pipe. Less roar and more air for the motor.
If you change the inlet trumpets front diameter from 32 mm to more than 40 mm, the mixture will weaken at wide open carb and you have to “reshape” the 4 carb needles. Otherwise you will loose power and pistons can burn.
Regards Wolfgang Gatza (Germany)

If you change the inlet trumpets front diameter from 32 mm to more than 40 mm, the mixture will weaken at wide open carb and you have to “reshape” the 4 carb needles. Otherwise you will loose power and pistons can burn.

Wolfgang is correct.
I tried the car without the trumpets and when we put a sensor in the exhaust the mixture does lean out at high revs.
My tuner said," well you can spend lots of money and time reshaping needles, or just reattach the trumpets, your choice"
I opted to reattach the trumpets.
regards

Thanks for the cautionary statements. I just got new rubber bellows to attach the trumpets from SNG. Back to stock now.

A freind of me is selling 4 “taylor made” needles, fitting to a EV12 with 2 straight through front silencere boxes und 50 mm air inlet trumpet. The prcie will be roundabout 400 $. He sold this set to some customers and has checked the mixture sometimes with his wideband lambda gauge from innovate. Mixture is okay and motor feels stronger. Together with the sound enhancement, the mouth of the e-type owners reached to the ears.
Regards Wolfgang Gatza

Is he willing to sell just the trumpets? If so, how much?

Thanks

No. He will keep the original tiny trumpets. Instead the original trumpets he has mounted a 60 mm aluminium pipe with 58 mm inside diameter. no tromput at the front anymore.Looks different from the original, but works well to feed the motor with more air.
Regards Wolfgang Gatza