Opinion on rear anti roll bar mounts

I need to replace the differential on my x300 and want to install an anti roll bar while I am at it.
I bought an anti roll bar with mounts, but the brackets are very rusty and quite thin in places. So I had a look for alternatives. I found Audi mounts that have the correct diameter, but they are significantly narrower.

I would assume the load on the mounts is higher in the Jaguar than it is in the Audi (A6 Quattro). The anti roll bar obviously has the same diameter, but I think it will be significantly longer in the Audi.

So what are your thoughts, will these work in the Jaguar or will they fail very soon?

Cheers,
Harald

I made a @Robin_O_Connor inspired mounting bracket:

It is made of 10mm steel
As you can see I gave the Audi A6 Quattro mounts a go, but also dirlled holes for the original mounts should I need them. The mounts are installed a little higher up than the original position would be. The idea is to use the Ford Mondeo anti roll bar links pictured on the right. They are a tad longer than the Jaguar ones (wich I believe are identical to the older Mondeo ones).

Now I need to get the parts, including an x308 differential mono strut, sand blasted and powder coated so I can install them, along with the “new” differential, in spring.

Cheers,
Harald

PS: I hope I don’t run into clearance issues with the exhaust with the slightly longer Mondeo links. The XJ6 is not available to check, but I had a look on the XJ12:

By the way, is the XJ12 not supposed to have an anti roll bar?

Progress:

Made an extractor tool for the bushings in the x308 mono brace

Made a mould and poured and machined poly busches

Had parts sand blasted and powder coated and fitted bushes

Assembled as far as possible

“New” differential de-rusted and painted, filled with new oil

Edit:
And here is what the differential looked like before cleaning and painting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

An only a few years later it is finally going in

3 Likes

The car is back on the road.
The biggest improvement are the new bushes in gear lever pedestal. The old ones were non existent :rofl:

But the rear end is transformed as well. The combination of the limited slip differential, antiroll bar and mono brace makes the car corner much nicer and with less body roll.
The poly bushes in the mono brace don’t make it noisy, even though they are 90 shore.
I am glad I combined the anti roll bar with the LSD, they work really well together.
I am not sure how big a roll the mono brace and the poly bushes play. But the rear seems stiffer with less movement.

Has anyone done the upgrades individually and can tell what the improvement is for each upgrade?

Cheers,
Harald

1 Like