Opinions on this idea for an exhaust manifold heat shield

Brian which filter element do you have inside the nice looking air filter you have?
Sorry no intention to divert the topic but caught by viewing this picture.

I would be lying if I didnt say the amount of heat generated by the manifolds didn’t concern me.
I ceramic coated my stock headers, but they still read 450-500 degrees. So I am one of those guys that lifts the bonnet after a long run until things cool down. suffice to say, the polished stainless shield does look nice as an alternative to coating or to cover the later manifolds.

Hi Ralph, I had a local stainless fab shop build it for me. it uses several layers of disposable fiberglass furnace filter material. regards, B

Hi all

An update. So I went and ordered the stainless heat shield… it arrived and I was very impressed with the quality. It’s a rigid piece with a substantial bracket. I don’t expect any rattling, annoying tink, tink, tink.

Mounting became a bit of an issue, as my S1.5 rear manifold is wider than typical,in order to hold the alloy heater box that sat on top of it, feeding the crossover pipe to the intake manifold.

There was no way it was going to fit with the manifold the way it was, so I considered replacing th rear manifold, which I really didn’t want to do. Or using my angle grinder on the manifold trying to reduce its width by grinding it down, which would b elong, slow and messy.

So I tried something. Still using the angle grinder, but I put a diamond blade on it that I had used for porcelain floor tile. I thought I’d try it. Worse case I trash the blade. It actually worked great. Cast iron doesn’t cut fast, but it made steady progress. Here’s a couple of pics in case any one else runs up against this.

1 Like

Bob,

Nice work! I could be wrong, but I think that at least one of the 3 remaining holes in the top of the rear manifold that was used to attach the heat exchanger penetrates through into the inside of the manifold - i.e. exhaust gas flow. This was certainly the case with mine. If so, you will need to seal that hole properly with plugs or something similar or your car will make some interesting noises when you start the engine…don’t ask me how I know!

1 Like

Hope you don’t mind my asking but where did you order it from? I’m debating getting mine recoated vs hiding them :wink:
Cheers,
LLynn

Hi David

Thanks for the heads-up! I saw those holes after pulling the studs, and put some bolts in them. :+1:

1 Like

Hi Lynn

I thought about getting new manifolds or possibly recoating mine, but I’ve heard that enamel failures are frequent, it’s fairly expensive, and a lot of work…

The stainless was very reasonably priced, $125, and if I didn’t have to trim my cast iron manifold, would have been a fairly quick process.

Here’s a link, and the seller seems to be a very decent guy…

I think it looks great, still haven’t mounted my kit yet since I haven’t got my car back from the bonnet renovation. Still wonder about how much heat the alternator will suck in from the accumulated hot air below the shield. I believe that my aluminum prototype shown earlier here does shield of that hot air preventing it from being sucked in, now I’m not sure what to put there to prevent it. Maybe it’s not necessary…

Thanks Robert,
I have one manifold that has crappy porcelain and one that has been ‘Jet Hot’ treated so it’s kinda mismatched under there so this might just be the ticket! Thanks for posting.
Cheers,
LLynn

The other thing this seems to accomplish is keeping some of the radiant exhaust heat away from the bonnet…

Robert, thanks for posting your Heat Shield Kit which looks great.

I’ve just had my entire bonnet repainted because I had some paint bubbles adjacent to the vents and want to reduce the heat from the manifold. The manifold temp is over 500° so anything to reduce the heat will help.

I just ordered one online and Dean (seller) seems like a real nice guy. Thanks for the link.

Andy 69 FHC (but with trip SUs and std exhaust manifold).

Andy
I think you’ll be pleased. It would be interesting for you to measure bonnet temp just above the manifolds both before and after the heat shield is fitted.

So this is interesting. There’s a S1.5 car on BaT right now. With paint bubbles on the hood, over the exhaust manifold. Too much heat?

When I mentioned my heat related damages in an other thread earlier lots of members just said that it was a bad paint job, very uncommon etc.

I thought I was just misfortuned and bought a car with a very poor paint job, in a way it was since there was to much “filler” underneath the new paint but now it seems like many others have the problem.
Does anyone know what temperature a (new) original type of paint can stand?

How will the dipstick be routed, now?

This is an interesting thread. Is it me or was there a previous thread that concluded the heat damage was concentrated when the car was parked and no air was flowing. Seems to me that shield or no, heat rises with no air flow.

I went with ceramic coating and a 10 min fan timer relay.

BrianM
'64 3.8 S1 FHC

1 Like

I too am wondering how effective this will be as a heat shield. The heat has to go somewhere. It’s not clear from the description whether the stainless steel is backed by any heat insulating material or not. If not, I presume that the shield merely affects the air flow over and around the manifolds. Presumably Jaguar put louvers over the exhaust manifolds to allow engine bay heat to escape. Blocking that air flow by adding such a heat shield seems counter-intuitive. Methods such as ceramic coating keep the heat in the exhaust gasses and it is dissipated further down the exhaust system or out of the tail pipe. As has already been stated, paint bubbling around the bonnet louvers is a symptom of excessive filler and/or poor paint prep. Blocking the air flow to louvers is really not the solution, IMHO. The “shields” fitted over the exhaust manifolds on the late Series 2s were not really shields - they were there to capture the heat of the exhaust manifolds and channel it over the top of the engine via ducting to preheat the intake mixture to reduce emissions from a cold engine. I’ll be interested in seeing some measurements on how this shield works…

l haven’t read this thread
through and through,
kinda wondering if a turbo
would help…
l guess it would depend
on how you drive it
more than anything,
and
how when an issue arises
how
it may become
an opportunity
to upgrade…

Michael,
Did you mean to post here? I confess to being rather confused…