Opinions on this idea for an exhaust manifold heat shield

Hi all,

In the process of pulling my 68 stromberg set up, complete with the crossover. As part of that system is an alloy “ heaterbox”? That sits on top of the rear exhaust manifold. So if I leave it in place, or I take it off, either way I’ll have an odd looking manifold.

This solution looks interesting as not only does it solve the esthetic issue of the odd rear manifold, but might protect the bonnet paint too?

All things being equal a set of nice new enameled pieces would look great, but that’s five times the $$$ as this, and a lot more work… and they are still vulnerable to cracking. So I’m thinking this ss heat shield might be a way to go.

Thoughts?
Robert

Well, if you want something that might work I guess that could be ok, but, if you want something that looks like it might have been meant to be, then you have to get a new set of manifolds, or a used set and get them ceramic coated…no cracking, better heat protection, look great! I had what you have and here’s how mine turned out…

would seem to me that if that thing isnt secured really well it might start clanging on the exhaust and drive you bonkers. ting ting ting a ting ting a ting ting ting…

I have bought that kit, i haven’t mounted it yet but it looks and feel very solid.

Ah! That helps. No buyer regrets, yet. Have you held it up to the car to see about fit, etc?

I imagine you haven’t removed the protective paper to reveal the polished surface either

So I’ve been thinking… you should go install this on your car, and then come back and tell me what you think!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Do I sense a little piece of sarcasm here :grin:
After I bought my car which had a new paint job, I had heat damage just above the exhaust manifold, As you can see in picture there was to much filler since they just put more and more filler at every repaint during the many years and finally it was to thick and it cracked.
To prevent further damage I built a aluminum heat shield which made a huge difference but now after the full repaint (just to be sure it doesn’t happen again)I will try this new heat shield instead and are very pleased with the design, look and feel so far. And it’s easy to remove temporarily if one want to show the engine somewhere…
Will mount it with a full review here as soon as I get my car back from the painter…
When people say there is now need for any heat shield they probably have one layer of filler/paint or the original paint but not as many layer of filler as I had.

Just a little sarcasm… one advantage for me of the heat shield is my manifolds are ugly. New enameled ones are relatively expensive, without having any real confidence the enamel will stay on. Plus it’s a lot of work, and I’d rather focus on getting my triple SU setup installed, and then my vented Wilwood brakes installed up front. Exhaust manifolds are just not on the near horizon. But this shield I could do quickly and relatively inexpensively.

Btw I think yours looks good! It’s not polished but it looks well done.

Made from a cheap IKEA shelf :grin:

Perfect! You did a nice job :+1::+1::+1:

Thinking about it further, that looks so good, and you know it works, why risk trying this new, untested, unproven one… so use your old one and send me the other. I’ll be you test platform, risk free to you!!

It’s made of aluminum which actually doesn’t isolate the heat that well compared to stainless steel… And you do know that the heatshield is made by a member here… He made about twenty of them, used one for himself and sold the extra ones on Ebay. And the old one are soon for sale if you are interested :wink:

Oh that’s interesting. His name is Dean if I recall correctly. And thanks for the offer on the old one. I’ll get back to you! :roll_eyes:

His name is Dean Ritter and I contacted him at Face book before I bought my kit but I’m sure we talked here about the heat problem in an other thread…

This may not be an issue but I’m going to throw it out there anyway.

The shield doesn’t eliminate any heat, it only reroutes it somewhere else. Does that cause a problem for some other component by exposing it to more heat than it would otherwise see? I’m not saying the shield is a bad idea, I’m just posing a question for consideration.

Valid questions John… I’m thinking it absorbs the heat, rather than the bonnet?

1 Like

Hi Robert, there has been much discussion on this subject and many solutions contributed by experienced owners. It would seem that Browns Lane Engineers began to pay more attention to this problem on the later cars as these difficulties surfaced.

Having said that, my series 2 came with a stainless shroud which I modified slightly when I installed 3 SU’s, replacing the 2 Stroms. This has proved to be a winner as the heat reaching the bonnet has been reduced substantially, also the heat being sucked into the rear of the alternator.

However, there is a codicil. Constant paint buildup from repairs and resprays can lead to cracking on the louvre areas. A complete strip and repaint done two years ago, revealed an excess of filler , paint and primer which no heat shield could stop the cracking.

Peter,

That heat shield appears to be mounted off the vertical fluid reservoir heat shield. Is it also attached to the engine via the exhaust manifold bolts? If so, what happens when the engine moves sideways as a result of torque reaction?

-David

No it’s not, it has a 10 mm clearance to the engine, it havent been touched by the engine yet but it just a prototype to see if the heat could be contained. It actually made a huge difference on the bonnet temperature above the manifold. But it’s to “boxy” therefore I bought the new one.

Brian,

That’s right! I have seen, but forgotten, that the later cars got equipped with a heat shield from the factory! At the time I was thinking about how I might be able to mount one of those.

( I agree that too much build up will lead to expansion and contraction issues, and cracks are in you future.)