Original XK tyres

I just ordered a set of Stella Biancas from Longstone, for a 140 DHC.

from some other photos I have come across of XKā€™s ordered through dealers it could have been picked up at the Jaguar Factory like this.
So Michelin Tires are as per the factory records are original fitment!

Blockquote

peder

2h

I just ordered a set of Stella Biancas from Longstone, for a 140 DHC.

Blockquote

I hope you enjoy them Peder. The boys at our test session certainly did.

Am i right in understanding that the thought is that Borrani wheels were not fitted to XK?

They were made in period and made for XK Jaguars as well. we know because a chap called Biondetti fitted some to the XK that he raced in period. Is the argument that they were not a Jaguar factory fitment?

I have never had any input on Borranis or not on XKs back in the day.
I have them on 2 XKs. They are the RW2623/3.
The RW3027 are apparently ideal for a 140 with drum brakes, according to my notes, but I havenĀ“ t tried them.

Peder,

In my story on ā€œWheels and Tyres on XKsā€ I presented the following information.

Contemporary competition: Borrani wire wheels in the USA

As early as 1952, Carlo Borrani (of Milan, Italy) had appointed an importer for the USA: Ulmann & Associates of New York. At that moment Borrani had already an impressive list of wire wheels in two different executions: the ā€œSportā€ version with steel rim and the ā€œRecordā€ version with aluminium rim.
Jaguar XKs in the US could therefore well have Borrani wire wheels, as ā€œRecordā€ wire wheels in the correct size for the Jaguar XK120 are also listed (around the same time of the introduction of Dunlop wire wheels in 1951). However, 4 special Borrani hubs and spinners were absolutely required meaning the total purchase of 4 Borraniā€™s would amount up to $ 400, knowing that Jaguar only asked $ 60 (painted) to $180 (chromed) extra for a complete set.

Hope this will answer your questions.

Bob K.

This is good isnā€™t it. It is from a 1954 booklet i stumbled across in the Pirelli archives.

I thought you would like the Coppa Cita di Lisboa - Fernando De Mascharenhas su Jaguar (middle of the far right column.

this first page might lead you to think it was fitting a Cinturato. however there is also this page

which somewhat makes you think it might be cross ply.

Hang on a Minute! look what Pirelli have just made

Also on that page:
Premio Bremgarten - Berna Jenny su Jaguar

I think if it is crossply you want these are the best tyres. https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/jaguar/xk.html#page=1 the testing done by Pirelli for the reintroduction of this tyre was done on an XK.

So for a concourse what is the best tyre, now that the OE Dunlop isnā€™t made any more?

Good to note the name Cinturato has been around since 1954!
interesting to note that it was mentioned first made around 1960?

After Pirelli had made the first Cinturatoā€™s in sizes 185 x 15 and 185 x 16 in their Italian factory around 1960 (for Ferrari and Maserati), the same Cintura sizes were introduced in the UK, but locally manufactured in Burton-on-Trent (although using Italian made moulds).

The Cinturato was developed in 1952

OE Dunlopā€¦ if it is a show car then they are availableā€¦ for a price. Do you want to winā€¦ pay up !

Terry,

When youā€™re quoting my article on the introduction of Pirelliā€™s in the size 185 x 16, you must have read (just a few lines above) that Pirelli introduced the Cinturato in 1952, but only in 14 inch. It would take until 1959/1960 before the Cinturato became available in 16 inch.

Regards,

Bob K.

well I sort of had quoted from your nov 18 posted above which I have pasted in full below.
But we can move the date of the manufacture of these 185 x 16 Cinturato (presumably the same as Centurata) tires back to at least the 18 November 1958 and given this date I would say at least several months at least earlier?

The only reason why Pirelli UK didnā€™t use the name Cinturato, is given in a 1962 advertisement: ā€œCintura, for the curious, is from the Latin = meaning Beltā€ but that doesnā€™t really helpā€¦ā€¦

QUOTE:

The range of Cintura sizes was ā€œcautiouslyā€ extended over the years and although the Cintura became known as one of the best tyres for fast sportscars, the correct sizes for the larger British sportscars were only launched in 1962 and even dedicated for the UK market. After Pirelli had made the first Cinturatoā€™s in sizes 185 x 15 and 185 x 16 in their Italian factory around 1960 (for Ferrari and Maserati), the same Cintura sizes were introduced in the UK, but locally manufactured in Burton-on-Trent (although using Italian made moulds).

These Cintura tyres were suitable for speeds of ā€œonlyā€ 200 km/h (125 mph). From June 1962 onwards, Pirelli UK manufactured a new Cintura tyre in the same sizes with the extension HS (High Speed) . This tyre had a nylon carcass and special textile belt under the tread, now suitable for speeds of up to 240 km/h (150 mph).

In the July 1962 issue of Motor Sport magazine, we read: ā€œ The ordinary Cintura cover is suitable for speeds up to 125 m.p.h. but at Burton-on-Trent a new Cintura HS tyre is now in production . This has a nylon instead of a rayon casing, a specially constructed textile belt and a tread compounded to give better bonding to the casing. It is safe for continuous driving at up to 150 m.p.h. At present only two sizes are available: 185 x 15 and 185 x 16. ā€

See also this Pirelli tyre recommendation for 1962.

Hi Terry,

Weā€™re repeating the old discussion.

Again, Pirelli UK may well have discussed their ideas with Jaguar management in 1958 to supply (somewhere in the future) a 16" version of the Cinturato/Cintura radial tyres, manufactured in their UK production facilities.But Pirelli themselves only started manufacturing these moulds in Italy by 1959/1960. As far as we know (now) UK production started only two years later.

Bob K.

I now have the new Pirelli Stella Bianca on a 140dhc. They look superb and hanle almos like radials. But the rubber is very hard, and I went from 2,1kg to 1,6kg which improved the harshness somewhat. Still far harder than the wonderful Cinturatos. Roadholding is very good. I have only done a 20 min testrun on less than perfect country roads at <50 mph.
More in a few weeks time when I am with the car again.
Peder