OT Do I pay for speeding ticket or not?

Nope: why not?

You’ll never see me piloting a '63 Kombi, ever, on purpose…:joy:

1 Like

Me too - but it is an 84 VW Bus and I’m only 71 - though I am half blind (one eye) and getting deaf.

Close does not count. Over the last 10 years I have been stopped 3 times for minor violations. Minor speeding, fast acceleration and crossing over car pool lane all with just a verbal warning. Always treated officers with great respect.
Glenn

Glenn, I am NOT familiar with your car, but I know that some current engines control the temperature electronically and the temperature will be controlled up or down depending on engine conditions to provide the best efficiency, etc.
Tom

Tom
I thought that might be the case, and being supercharged maybe the temp of 109 Deg. C is normal. If the car is running this hot @65 deg. F what will it be in the summer with temps of 120 deg. F. E types were known for running hot but never recall anyone saying their car ran at 109 deg.C. My XK8 in very hot conditions will get up to 105 deg. C max. in traffic when 100+ degs. outside.
Glenn

I’ve heard the song before…

1 Like

Assuming it IS working properly, the temperature will be what ever the computer decides on, could be hotter, could be cooler.
Tom

I have become anal when it comes to engines running hot. My XK8 ran hot for a long time until I discovered crack in radiator. I have been using these OBD temp monitors because by the time the regular temp gauge shows hot it is too late.
Glenn

Glenn, I am treading in areas that I may not be familiar with, so do not necessarily believe me. I have a 2006 BMW 325i. It has an electric water pump, and an electric “assisted” thermostat. And to my great displeasure, no dash temperature gauge. From what I think I understand, the engine controller varies the engine temperature 20 degrees or more by controlling the water pump flow and the thermostat opening. The temp gauge was eliminated assuming the driver would badger the dealers about the temperature variations. The dash gauge has reappeared on newer models. I somewhat assume, but do not know, that maybe they now control the dash gauge to tell it not to read true engine temperature, but to telll the driver that everything is okay. Your OBD readout is true engine temperature. Or I may be mis informed.
Tom

Yes this OBD gauge displays the the actual temps. Most temp gauges in modern cars do not reflect actual engine temp. If you wait for them to read hot it is to late. I purchased a small display screen that plugs into OBD port that I first used on my XK8 because I had doubts if cooling system was working correctly. This display was helpful on Oil Leak trip of 3K miles.
Used this gauge on sister in-laws Miata that had a stuck thermostat and was running too cold. Will get a couple more of them for my OBD equipped cars.
Glenn

for approx $30 you can buy a BAFX OBD2 module, keep it permanently plugged in and connected via Bluetooth, displaying Live Data (including coolant temp…the same reading your engine computer is getting to) on your phone…or a dedicated device

They are guaranteed to work on all cars built in USA after '96 (may not read some Euro '96)

essential if you own vehicles of that era. I cant believe blokes actually ask whats wrong with their vehicles without owning such an OBD2 reader…like not having a multimeter

1 Like

I would suspect the timing is retarded…

Wherever space and time interact, there is information, and wherever information can be ordered into knowledge, and knowledge can be applied, there is intelligence.
Pavel Mirsky, mid 21st Century Russian General

Been there, done that. traffic school, twice. One time in a real class. two sessions. run by a professional comedian he was fair, it did lessen the boredom. I did and do know the rules in the CVC !! it was a part of my business to know them!

The other on line. Much better…

Still paid the fines. traffic school was to avoid a good hit on my insurance premium…

No defense to the tickets!!

Aye not making an appearance in court is not good.
Warrant. Get stoped again and it will come up on the cops computer!!! Car gets towed and you get a ride… wearing zip ties in a plastic back seat with inoperable door handles…

Carl

1 Like

Exactly Carl. A night in the slammer. Pay the ticket.
In NYS I was pulled over by a cop with a plate reader camera. It automatically told the cop that my company car insurance had expired (I was unaware) and my company fleet guys never reported that they renewed it. He told me to park it at home & no ticket. Its as bad as have an Alexa in your bedroom! They know everything!

Buy a Valentine 1 radar detector with the money you saved on the tow charge, Glenn.
Fight back!

I would buy a radar detector if it could be kept out of sight. If I was stopped and it was seen on the dash there is no chance of getting cut some slack.
Will research maybe there is such a device?
Glenn

Was this you?

1 Like

In the 70s here in CA I got 3 speeding tickets and was told to go to traffic school by the CHP. Did that but my insurance company cancelled me and put me with another company in a high risk pool!!! Rules were different or perhaps because I got them in to close succession. They didn’t explain anything to me back then but know the rules now. Got to be clean for 18 months.
pauls

1 Like

There are radar/laser detectors that are remote mount- the sensors mount in the grill and the alarm is discretely placed in front of the driver. Nothing in the window to be seen.

I stuck mine above the rear view mirror. It’s pretty much masked by the black section of the windshield behind the mirror and can’t be seen from side windows unless the cop gets his head down low enough to scan the headliner. If I’m stopped I discretely reach up and shut it off.

FWIW, The F type evenendtley has special glass that stops function of my transponder used for express lane use. It may work if placed by rear view mirror.
Glenn