OT Do I pay for speeding ticket or not?

Testing out my F type purchase 11 days ago I got a speeding ticket, first one in about 20 years. Cop explained that I could go on-line and pay the ticket and sign up for an on-line traffic school to clear points. So I go on-line as per instructions on the citation and no record found. I figured it may take some time to get into system. Every few days check back and still no record!
This morning I do more research searching by my name, dl#, dob. all show no record found. Somehow I stumbled across a record from 2007. Jorge L had gotten a citation for unlawful material on the windshield. His citation # is the same as mine and was never resolved, is still out for collection.
I could take a chance and ignore citation or go to the court and fess up?
I know the correct answer!
Glenn

Well Glenn, I’d bite the bullet. Your situation is messed up if they have an outstanding ticket for someone else in your car, not sure how to handle that. I got a ticket a few years back, cop was nice and hit me or 7 over instead of the 15 over I was doing. I went the school route and the reason why is because if those points get on your record your insurance could go up and possibly for a long time. Traffic school puts you on probation for 18 months and your record is clean. The down side is you still have to pay the ticket and for traffic school. BTW if my photo shows up in this post its your car in the background. I can’t remember if my photo appears or not.

1 Like

I would not ignore it. but the matching citation number isnt important. They issue warrants based on name, DOB, ID#. even if Jorge was in your car. It will have no bearing on your case.
11 days ago is way too soon to find it in the court system. I am guessing your Notice To Appear date isnt until April anyway. So give it a few weeks. you have plenty of time.

I forget the period of time, but dont pass the opportunity to take traffic school, in other words, if you pass this time, you wont have the option to take it IF you got another moving violation in 18 months or something like that.

having said that, you can go to court to contest the ticket. but thats a whole 'nuther train of thought.

1 Like

Does California have deferred adjudication like in Texas?

I love it when my wife gets to go to traffic school. Afterwards she comes home and tells me all the pointers and advice she learned. Later she brings these up as I drive.

Eventually I have to remind her why she went to school and I didn’t.

As for what to do re not in the system - give it some time (find out what the deadline is for getting schooled) but in my experience if the government makes a mistake and you do not get notice or entered into the system - it is your problem, not theirs.

2 Likes

We don’t have the luxury of deferred adjudication. Our only option is to take the traffic school to keep the points off your record. Otherwise nothing changes, you still have to pay.
pauls

11 days is probably way too early to hear anything. Last time I got a speeding ticket in California (Kern county), it took 5-6 weeks to get into the system. It probably varies by county. You can do traffic school on line, so apart from the expense, it isn’t a big inconvenience. Hope you enjoyed the drive… :grinning:

1 Like

Is the Jag comfortable in which to sleep?

:grimacing:

1 Like

Just after I qualified to be a License tester my wife and I drove across town, when we reached our destination she turned to me and said ‘well how many times would I have failed the test?’
Oh only about 6 immediate fails replied I, she took it well and no I didn’t sleep on the couch or in the car that night :slight_smile:

Do what’s right, Karma is a real MoeFoe.

Have no idea who this Jorge fellow is, he just happened to have the same ticket# in 2007 as my speeding ticket. I tried to explain to officer why I was speeding. Had just purchased F type and was checking it out. Had an OBD gauge set up to monitor engine temps. Was getting a reading of 109 deg.C on a cool day at 75MPH. I was paying too much attention to gauge instead of the cop hidden in bushes with radar gun. Cop said “beautiful car” as he wrote the ticket. Clocked me at 75mph in a 55mph zone, wrote me up for just 10mph over. Still concerned why this engine runs so hot at speed only.
Dash gauge reads normal and dealer not concerned. Still under warranty.
Glenn

I used to teach the Traffic School when you had to attend class for six hours. You should be able to register “on line” and use the number on the citation number on the ticket the officer gave you, to register.
Get is out of the way now so you can rest easy later. You don’t want to ignore it then have a warrant issued for you. They won’t come knocking on your door, but if you get stopped again then it is an arrest and will cost a lot more.

1 Like

Yes Paul
Your photo with my E type in background shows up
My plan is to go to the court and straighten this out.
Will enroll in on line drivers school at $56. Have no idea what the speeding ticket costs yet.
Glenn

Never mind that: what’s the insurance company gonna gig ya?

My understanding is that if I go the driving school route my insurance is not affected and not on my record. Last time about 20 years ago I got two speeding tickets within 2 weeks. My presence was requested to attend driving school. Don’t recall my insurance increasing. Was speeding in my work van
Glenn

Didn’t you avoid a ticket outside Glacier Nation Park when you parked and hurriedly went on a hike so the park policeman couldn’t find you? And there were plenty of us in E-Types traveling that road so he couldn’t be sure which primrose car it was. Oh, well.

–Drew

1 Like

But you’ve come close…

I have somehow avoided getting a ticket in the E-Type (or any other car) for 20+ years but I credit luck and alertness more than compliance. When I do get one I will just pay it and consider it the price of enjoying the road.

1 Like

It just amazes me that the speed limit is the same for a 1963 VW minibus with bald tires being driven by a half-blind totally deaf 92 year old, and a brand new high performance car in top condition being driven by a 34 year old race trained driver. All other things being equal (weather, distractions, etc.) I wonder which is the greater hazard on the road: the 92 year old at 65 MPH (if the minibus can go that fast) or the 34 year old at 90 MPH (both on a highway)? The 34 year old would get the tax (oops) ticket…

Hey there! I resemble that remark… :grinning:

2 Likes

When I saw the remark I was expecting to see Wiggs name up there as the poster, not sure why :innocent:

1 Like