[OT] For All Who Work on Modern Cars

Our DDs are a 2001 BMW 325i, and a 2007 335i. For many years, I’ve done all the work on these cars myself. I just bought a truly wonderful, relatively new tool: a Foxwell NT-510 ODB scanner (Google Foxwell NT-510). What is unique about this particular tool is that it is the first AFFORDABLE ($149!) scanner I’ve seen that will “talk” to ALL of the computers on a car: Engine, transmission, brakes, airbag, heater/ac, traction control, steering, lighting, entertainment, navigation, and more. When you buy the scanner, you can download and install new firmware to support one or more manufacturers specific systems, in my case, I got the BMW-specific firmware. You can purchase the firmware to support other manufacturers for ~$70 per. It has a nice color graphic display, and can not only view and reset fault codes, but also provide real-time data logging of many parameters, and even directly control many functions in real-time. This is the first tool of it’s kind I’ve seen for under about $1000, and it works flawlessly.

I purchased mine directly from the Foxwell website (www.foxwelltech.com). It shipped from Hong Kong, and it arrived via DHL in about a week. HIGHLY recommended.

Regards,
Ray L.

2 Likes

Love that! OBD2 scanners are useless except for emission issues. New cars for at least 20 years now have tied everything, airbag system, HVAC etc. into their computers, we’re in the dark. Dealers want $120 just to hook up their proprietary scanner.
pauls

Which is exactly why I bought it. The tranny died on the 325i. Lousy German cars! D@amned thing failed after only 220K miles! When I put in the replacement, the fault light was still on, and it would only drive in 3rd. I knew if I paid a shop $100 to reset the light there was a 50/50 chance there actually was a problem, which I’d then need to fix, and pay ANOTHER $100 to reset it again. For $149, this thing was a no-brainer. Now that I played with it a bit, I am REALLY impressed!

Regards,
Ray L.

Ray- for owners of VAG (Audi/VW etc.) cars there is a system available that includes a cable and software (PC) that will connect to any VAG vehicle and allow for reading/resetting/recoding of just about every controller on these cars.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/
The enthusiast (us) kit runs $200-$300; you supply the laptop with windows and a USB port. I have three Audi daily drivers in the family and I use the heck out of this system. NAYYY…

I had a VAG-COM about 15 years ago when we owned several VWs (and we will NEVER make that mistake again…). This Foxwell thing does everything the VAG-COM does, it will do it for almost any car on the market, and it’s half the price of the VW/Audi-only VAG-COM. And, NO PC required. It’s a stand-alone hand-held device. You need a PC ONLY to download and FLASH new firmware to support different manufacturers cars, and you can load as many as will fit on the 4Gbyte SD card.

Regards,
Ray L.

Our 2004 330Ci has an SSG trans. This is similar, but not at all like, the SMG in the M3. It is Italian, no clutch stick. I wonder if that unit will support a trans that most all dealers never even heard of, much less know about.

I don’t know how to find out for sure, without having one to plug it into, but my guess is it would be supported. Is that an E46 or E90?

Regards,
Ray L.

Magneti Marelli (sp?) makes the control units. Siemens makes the M3 unit. Both are prone to spectacular failures in the sense that they defy repair because the numerous failures are WAY over the heads of the techs and even, it seems, the factory itself. The Siemens unit also has parts that are near impossible to access. At least my unit (E46, 2 dr coupe) can be removed for repair without taking the car apart. Our car works fine - it ONLY failed to start twice (at 35k miles, hardly an old used car!). It needs all doors closed, accumulator pressure, neutral signal, brake on and it needs to know all these parameters are set. It uses the regular 6 speed, but with a mechanical unit on the shift tower which moves the shift rails and an automatic clutch slave which will engage the clutch like your sister did when she learned how to drive…

Gee… That sounds like a wonderful system… :slight_smile:

Regards,
Ray L.

That sounds like a great tool. I just have one of the generic scanners that I think I paid about $150 for. But unlike yours, it can’t read transmission codes, ABS codes, etc. Yours sounds like its much more useful and comprehensive. I might have to look into that if I get a light that I can’t tackle with my current scanner.

Bad experience with VW’s, Ray? I’ve been driving Audis for 30 years and they have been remarkably trouble free–particularly compared to BMWs and Mercedes. Had a 5000 TQ go 225k with only one turbo replacement. Had a V8Q 5spd which had a catastrophic failure of the engine as a result of a TB that snapped at 60k (despite a maintenance instruction to replace at 90k) but Audi repaired the engine and otherwise the car ran for 275k with only minor maintenance. My 2000 A8L Q ran for 180k with only TB replacements and a ZF trannie rebuild at 120k for $3,500 (a known problem with all of those ZFs). My current A8 has 93k and has literally had no issues outside of maintenance. I seriously cannot understand the complaints about VAG products because I have had very few problems despite nearly 3/4ths of a million miles.

Current owner of a 2000 VW TDI. I can attest to it having some issues. I’ve had it since '08. Some if it is normal like full timing belt, water pump/pulley change at 120k. Less expected, leaking screen seal, leaking fuel injection pump, clutch ready to self destruct at 160k, turbo out at the same time, dual mass flywheel failure, leaking cam cover requiring entire replacement because the gasket is molded right into the aluminum, leaking sunroof, worn out shifter tower, sagging headliner, plastic interior parts falling apart all over the place including both door pulls breaking off, gauge cluster wearing out such that the immobilizer had to be disabled. There’s plenty more I’m forgetting I’m sure.

I’d be afraid to add up all the bills considering I’ve only driven it 55K miles in all this time. On a $ per mile basis, the E is the only car I’ve owned that exceeds the VW.

Edit: here’s a good one. Last year the whole dash had to come out to replace all of the foam on the heater box blend doors. For years it had been falling apart and blowing out all the vents until so much of was gone that the heater and defroster didn’t work…fun times :frowning:

Loved my last TDI which VW bought back, my 3rd VW diesel. Previous '99 TDI is still in the family going strong, no major failures. Had Audis previously a '98 A4 which was mildly problematic with only 70k miles, then a '99 that had very expensive issues. Still I sprung for an '02 A4 which had bugs from the day it was new but nothing expensive to me just buggy, e.g. sunroof would open randomly, not frequently but?? Have had 3 BMWs since, not a single failure but not in love with their iDrive thingie, matter of fact I kinda hate it.
pauls

THAT is insane!

I damn sure woulda found a cure with RTV, before I purchased the whole damn cam cover!

Clutch, at 130k miles? You’ve fully amortized its cost…:crazy_face:

Other than that, Ms. Lincoln…how was the play?

:joy::joy:

In my little chitwagen ‘09 Hyundai, 193,000 miles, I have used two sets of front pads/1set discs, two front sway bar links, and 1 set shockies, and STILL on the original spark plugs.

One fuel vapor valve, the normal timing belt/tensioners/seals, and one starter. Oil/filter changes, every 8000 miles. Uses about a pint in between changes.

Damn cheapazz Korean car…:smile:

It was/is pure Fahrvergnügen. I’ll drive it till the wheels fall off. I anticipate that to occur no later than next Tues at 3:30. I doubt your Hyundai came with a flower vase.

1 Like

You mean…

https://goo.gl/images/tjMPyn

Re: RTV

Muh guy tried that once. He warned me it wouldn’t work. It didn’t :frowning:

Hmmmmm. Not sure why not, but…odder things have been known to happen.

Like needing s whole damn cam cover, instead of a freakin’ gasket!!!

Got the old cam cover?

It was because the leak was happening at the end where a vacuum pump connects. It was just too complex to seal properly for very long. I ignored it for a long while but oil was getting everywhere so I finally relented and allowed him to install a brand new cover. Clean and dry for the first time in 9 years!