OTS side-curtain alignment

I’m in the process of adjusting the side curtains on a XK140 OTS and there is a thread that instructs how to adjust the front and rear inward or outward. But is there a way to adjust the curtains fore and aft? It seems that adjustment will distort the inner frame.
Alan

Alan,

The position of the side curtain is of course determined by the position of the two knurled bolts that hold the curtain. I think it’s only possible to move fore and aft if you change the position of these knurled bolts (which requires a tremendous modification of your doors) or if you change/shift the position of the upper part of the side curtain frame in relation to the lower part. In the latter case you will have to drill and tap new holes for these small screws but even then the space to move fore and aft is rather limited (a few millimeters).
See pictures below of my (1954) XK 120 which should basically be identical to the XK 140.

Bob K.

Bob,
Thank you,

Something is surely askew! I’ve had the car for some years but never, until now, installed the side curtains. The whole assembly is too far forward with an enormous gap at the rear and the top. The frame in front is pressed right against the window pillar. I see no fix other than to reset the arms that seat onto the knurled bolts. But if raised up to fix there will surely be an open gap at the bottom.
Are there different sizes of XK140 side curtains. I see only one in the catalog?
Alan

Alan,

The XK 140 had only one version for the soft top/hood and side curtains, but the XK 120 had different versions over its production span. The final version of the XK 120 also fits the XK 140 but the earlier XK 120 versions won’t.

However, I see that your side curtain has the correct curve at the lower front end (the earlier XK 120 versions didn’t have that curve but ended straight under a sharp angle) so it should be the correct version for your car.
So either your hood is too high at the rear or someone adjusted the curve at the rear end of the side curtain.

But first you may try and lift the rear bracket and tighten the knurled screw again with the bracket in a higher position. The bracket has a straight section before it bends some there is a some (although little) room for adjustment.

The entire side curtain construction is not exactly water tight, so if there’s a little gap at the bottom …

Bob K.

Interesting that both side curtains fit “almost” perfectly if all four frame brackets were moved about an inch towards the front. I’m searching for a pair of just the inner supporting frames to try to relocate the brackets before I start messing with the existing ones.
I have an ad in the classifieds-but if anyone has a set (any condition) please contact.
Thanks,
Alan

The usual questions
are they original sidecurtains?
the side curtain at front seems to be sitting in to far ie flap should be partially covering pillar?
The hood line is also not correct ie gap top back and whole hood line needed to be inch closer to front of car ie lining up with door line the flap should really be overlapping sidecurtain by say 3/4 inch you run your finger around to tuck in
I assume hood was a premade kit?
ideally this is a job where you trim and fit sidecurtains then get the hood trimmed to match them
terry