Our XJ-S convertible pickup truck

My poor old but trusty Mercedes had a bit of a hard time when I was rebuilding my house.
That’s 600Kgr of gravel and cement in the trunk, repeated on numerous voyages…
Had to be veeeeeeeery careful going over bumps!

3 Likes

Wiggs, Country woman always collects props and one day the truck broke down(bad fuel pump). So we went to pick it up with some ratchet straps and an XK8 convertible.

2 Likes

I LIKE the rocket!!!

I like the cat!

20 char

Aristo,
How the hell you’ve managed to get one of those these days and is that a 2.0D version? If they could make XJS like that, Bosch would have Union Jack in their logo…

And by the way, that’s a cheat. Everyone knows that 190 is indestructable. Apart from Yanks maybe… The value is also higher :wink:

After things I’ve seen in here - kinda scared to admit being XJS owner… With timber sticking out or new v12 badge from eBay - still, XJS is nothing else that this:

1 Like

It’s a 1990 1.8 petrol, mechanical fuel injection and self adjusting hydraulic valves.
It was the most advanced mid size saloon of it’s time.
I bought it ten years ago, have done 160.000Km and has 280.000Km on the clock.
Just changed the head gasket, so now its good for an other as much.
The cylinders still had the honing marks from the factory. I was very impressed.
The most robust and reliable car I ever owned.

Sometimes the comparison is indeed heart braking… my XJ is four years older but decades apart.
But I guess it’s part of the mystique…
We all love our rotten eggs, that’s why we are here!

3 Likes

…guessing you’re not that lucky, but hey - at leat miles per gallon are similar between both bangers…
Know the owner of one 190. We were slamming it as a teeagers, now it has 1.2m kilometers on the clock, but that was old fashion german diesel.

Speaking of rotten eggs, better be careful writing that with majority of XJS owners being 65+… They have their own circles of safety here or can put you into “ignore list”…

Yes those engines are virtually indestructible and will drive to the end of the world and back for eternity… A friend has one (W124).
But very noisy, unrefined and underpowered though. Takes away all the posh feel of the W124 that otherwise is a superb car.