Out of idea's 1994 xj6

ok I have a 94 xj6 4.0 I replaced the fuel pump and filter, tps, maf, dist cap, plugs, tranny filter n fluid,my car still doe’s the same thing,turn key, will turn over but not run? spray of maf fliud and it wants to run right? I’m getting fuel and spark?

I’m a little confused by your post. Are you saying the engine will briefly run if you spray starting fluid in the throttle body? I think you are saying you have fuel and spark, but have you actually checked to see what the fuel pressure is to make sure its sufficient?

Alright class what do we need to make an engine run ?

Spark / Oxygen / Fuel

1. Are you getting a healthy spark from the coil to the distributor ? How about from each spark plug
    lead ? The distributor caps are notorious on these cars for failing although they look fine. Have the
    plug wires been removed, if so are you sure of their proper position on the distributor.

2. Is your air cleaner clogged ? Probably not but check it anyway. I’m assuming that there isn’t
    something catastrophically wrong mechanically with the valves and pistons that would prevent them
    from sucking in air. A quick compression test will eliminate this possibility. The other thing could be
    a massive vacuum leak on the intake side.

3. Are you getting fuel to the cylinders ? loosen the fitting at the pressure regulator, disconnect the coil
    wire to the distributor and crank over the engine for just a second. Hold a rag around the fitting
    and see if you’re getting pressurized fuel. Not as elegant as attaching a fuel gauge, but quick and
    dirty (or wet)…and it works. If you’re getting fuel to the rail reconnect the fitting and while cranking
    the engine put a stethoscope to each fuel injector and listen for a rhythmic clicking.

4. Report back with your findings and no more cutting class !

Anything registering on the rev counter while cranking?

you sound like a sub who has not read the game plan

will go up to 2k then die down to zero

no I don’t have a gauge but did disconn. and seen surges with key on…steady full stream

You said that it would turn over but not run? How does it register 2K on the tacho if it will not run?

Normally while cranking a dead engine the tacho will register 200 / 300 RPM. If it doesn’t, that suggests that the CPS has failed - hence no sparks or fuel injection. Have you checked the spark from the coil HT lead to ground as suggested during cranking on the dead engine?

Sorry John …

I was just going by your statements, “turn key, will turn over but not run” and “I’m getting fuel and spark?”

It looked like you were questioning whether or not you were getting fuel and spark with your punctuation ??

Game Plan … we don’t need no stinkin game plan :sunglasses:

I would check to see if the ECM is pulsing the fuel injectors.