Overheating 5.3 V12

Have purchased new EBC3576 thermostats . . . . can anyone suggest additional steps to keep engine running cool particularly when I have AC engaged.

Make sure to properly bleed the system

Remove radiator for professional cleaning

Make sure fan clutch is firmly engaging; if any doubt, replace.

What temps are you presently running and under what conditions?

Cheers
DD

We have two 5.3L V12 Jaguars, a Series III 1990 V12 Vanden Plas and a 1990 XJ-S convertible. The coolant temperatures were running higher than I liked in both of them and over the past few years I did a thorough engine bay cleanup in both cars including removal and replacement of the radiators and cleaning out the A/C condensors as well as removing and replacing all the belts and hoses. The radiators in both cars were badly clogged with deposits (Bar’s Stop Leak?). I had one radiator recored and I replaced the other with a new OEM one. They both run much cooler now. I fixed the refrigerant leaks in the saloon, got it professionally serviced with R12, and now it runs cool and blows cold air conditioning even on hot days. I haven’t fixed the A/C in the XJ-S convertible yet, but the coolant temperature is much cooler than before my recent work.
I suspect that the major reason for the cooler coolant temperatures are the recored and new radiators. The tubes were really clogged up in both radiators and after seeing how clogged up they were I am not surprised that these cars ran hot. I posted some pictures of the clogged radiator tubes on Jag-Lovers and they should be available in the archives.

Paul

Even well functioning thermostats cannot cool an engine - they are there to keep the engine warm. If the thermostats works as they should (you did test them, and installed them correctly?) - the radiator etc is what produces cool water…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)