Paint color on shields/battery compartment

Lower shield and battery compartment are out while replacing the servo.

My shields are in great shape. There are however just a few scratches/scuffs/chips. Figured this would be an opportune time to touch them up before reinstalling.

What is the appropriate black paint for shields under servo/battery compartment?

As always, many thanks for your expertise!

Sorry. Just noticed that you set touch up. I would just go to home depot or such and buy a small can of black rustoleum and a small paint brush. Clean the areas well and put on a couple of coats. If you want to get fancy buy a can of gloss and a can of flat and mix it up to match the gloss level of your paint.

1 Like

In my corvette the perfect match was a can of John Deere black. Spot on for color. I plan to hang and re-spray the entire part.

Candiece,
I removed the torsion bar shields and under engine shields from my 1969 E-Type FHC prior to the engine removal and rebuild in 2021 to prevent further damage to them. Now that the car is running great again, I removed all of the old (probably lead based) paint from those shields with paint stripper, banged out some dents, spray painted them with black primer and then black satin chassis paint that I got at a local auto parts store, and then spray painted the lower sides with a rubber undercoating for a nice durable textured final coat. I already installed the right side torsion bar shield and here are pictures of the remaining parts to be installed.
I did the same work on the right side mudshield and just installed that with a new rubber seal and the brackets that hold the undershields in place but without any rubber undercoating on those brackets.

Here are pictures of the two undershields and left torsion bar shield ready for me to install. I am quite pleased with how they came out. No one other than me is likely to see them, but I will know how nice they look. :wink:

Paul

1 Like

Those look great!

Have a cabinet full of products we used to refinish many of the corvette parts.

Hoping that one of those will be a correct match. . There will be a few layers of paint. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Candiece, I think it is generally agreed that Sir William and his crew did not spend any excess money on those parts of the car that potential customers wouldn’t readily see in the showroom. In that vein, the black paint they used was most likely enamal and most likely sourced from a low cost bidder, who probably changed over the years, since it basically was a commodity item. I generally use Rustoleum rattle can satin black, only because to my eyes it is the best alternative compared to Gloss and Flat. But trust me, in the world of E-Type concours judging, they don’t get looked at so it is mostly up to your sense of what looks right to you.

3 Likes

Candiece,
It is quite likely that the original paint used on these parts was lead based which is now recognized to be hazardous if small particles are inhaled. So if you decide to clean off the old paint from the parts, remember to use a chemical stripper instead of a blast cabinet or sanding.

Paul

1 Like

Many years ago, somebody on here coined the term, “RDB:” runny, drippy black. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for describing your process, Paul, they look great and I will do the same thing.

Rod

1 Like

Yesss… and I remember how many hundreds of foo foo bombs of paint I sprayed as a kid and a young adult (and clutch/brake dust, using an air gun on, and buckets of acetone used in fiberglass fabrication, and…) all without the benefit of a mask… I really will be amazed if I make it past 75.

5 Likes

Wiggles,
Unfortunately I did not get the “RDB” memo and went for “SCB” (smooth consistent black). :wink:

Paul

2 Likes

No worries! I bet it looks good as far as you can see it!

1 Like

You mean in the Jeepster, right? :grimacing:

1 Like

I plan to post some pictures of the repaired, repainted, and reinstalled torsion bar shields, mud shields, and under engine shields once I get them all installed and the car up on a lift.

Paul

2 Likes

With its 3:73 rear end, and that long-stroke Jag six?

It’s dicey. :smirk:

1 Like

Just wiping down with lacquer thinner as they are already painted.

Will probably use up the John Deere Blitz Black I have left over from my 68’ Vette projects.

I learned about it on the vette forum and have been extremely pleased with both the final result as well as the durability of the paint. Guess if durable enough for tractors and such should work well for my needs.

Thank you. Thankfully no sanding will be needed, appreciate the heads up!

Sounds like a great solution, as long as it doesn’t give you the uncontrollable urge to start plowing the back forty.

3 Likes

You can also reference the old Pirelli tire ad of about 35 years ago. They only came in the following colors.

• Dark Black
  • Midnight Black
  • Very Offwhite
  • Opaque Black
  • Deepsea Black
1 Like

:rofl: :tractor:

Thanks, I needed that giggle!

1 Like