Park Brake light seems a weird design!?

My 1990 convertible park brake light illuminates when I raise the handle the slightest bit. Ok, good. The weird thing is that the light does not stay on while the park brake is applied and the handle is lowered. Is this a weird design on all our cars or what? The micro switch only has one contact that clicks on and off with the handle raises the slightest bit. I realize this is also designed to allow the top to be lowered. I would prefer a warning light to reminds me that the park brake is on, not that I am raising the handle!

It doesn’t sound right to me. And I don’t recall my '88 XJS operating that way. Sounds like a problem with the switch. Perhaps just loose/dirty/out of adjustment.

Cheers
DD

John - does the Park Brake light come on when you apply the foot brake - should light as a reminder that the Park Brake is applied - Tex.

I’m trying to remember the sequence of that light on my car (83 HE).

I do recall hearing from many to remember to release the parking brake as apparently many apply it and then drive off forgetting that it was still on.

That may be due to two things: 1) the parking brake doesn’t do much anyway; 2) maybe the light doesn’t stay on or whatever is supposed to keep the light on fails?

The parking brake light should be on whenever the parking brake is engaged, fully or partially, regardless of the position of the fly off handle. The switch is broken or misadjusted if it doesn’t work that way.

1 Like

Ok,
Jon, thanks for the definate yes, the light should stay on when applied!
Tex, no the Park Brake light does not illuminate with the brake pedal. The brake warning light does go on for a second or so before going out while the engine is running, when park brake is on OR off. Warning light test??? This seems strange too.
I will check the micro switch position. I am hoping it will contact part of the lever mechanism instead of the handle. I purchased a new micro switch on the word of the dealer who said the top seemed hard to get to start to lower. The switch I received had two terminals rather than THREE. The convertible top trigger is working fine with the original switch. I did have it off so will recheck if I got on out if adjustment.
Thank you for the input, always appreciated!!!

Appearantly, somebody bent the contact bar up to meet the lever as the before pic shown. I REMOVED THE SWITCH TO BEND IT BACK. The concealed “nut bar” droped as soon as the second #4 bolt was removed. Now, I will remove the three brake mechanism mounts to reinstall the switch. I think it will work fine now, gulp if I dont break the switch…
I placed the switch with bolts into the mouning holes and can hear the switch click when moving it in the adustable range of the holes.
Note the new switch SnG Barratt sent mr for the handbrake, completely dufferent.

I agree with what Jon has said.

Due to power of v12 versus the PB, compounded by dim PB warning light

John - just check my owner’s manual, and as the others mentioned, the Park Brake light is supposed to stay illuminated when the Park Brake is activated and the ignition key is in the “On” position - Tex.

Yes, I saw that too and was my interpretation. Still working on getting the contact adjusted. The switch is still working fine.
The parking brake works great, as long as the car is in park. Nonexistent in drive ir reverse in the garage. All I want is a brake that will hold the cars weight on a hill in neutral. Stay tuned

1 Like

Because that is a cable which gets pulled, that looks to be in the engaged position.

If so, what moves the lever on the switch?

Or is the switch NC and the lever that the cable is attached to it pushes the switch actuator lever and switches to the open position?

Jerry,
That photo was with the brake set, engaged. I finally got it to work as designed, light on when brage is set at any position. I had to add a piece of rigid aluminum flashing crimped eith elgoid ole Gorilla epoxy for jnsurance. It should outlast the car.

Now all I have to do is get the park brake to hold the car on a hill. I’m thinking that would working NOT AS INTENDED from the factory. I hope not!

Good luck getting the parking brake to hold in a flat parking lot. My experience, and also that of most of the XJS owners I’ve talked with, is that the parking brake is pretty much useless.

Maybe because so many are left on by people who think that the ‘handle down’ means the parking brake is off, so they drive it or move it with the parking brake on, damaging the pads?

Oh man, flat parking lot is pretty hilarious! With the car in neutral it will move with one hand but not with the patk brake on! i guess that might be as good as it gets? K posted another thread and got a good recommendation to clean and grease the calipers.
Im still wondering about the asjusgment question. Im having a hard time wrapping my head around the cable housing adjustment. Threaded rod in, is fully adjustment or out as in my photo? See other thread.
Thanks