Part between rear window and parcel shelf

Hello all,
I’m looking to replace the part that sits between the rear parcel shelf and the rear window in my XJC Series 2. The existing one has rusted quite a bit. I have my eye on a S2 4-door for sale for spares, so question is, does anyone know if this part is the same for the coupe as for the 4 door? (And if anyone has one kicking around, please let me know!).
Thanks!
Nick Hill XJC 4.2 (1976)

Nick,

this looks like a Sat afternoon, awire brush, some god rust converter, primer and a satin black spray can. Try to save the cover - if only to serve as a cutting pattern for some new vinyl:-)

Unless I misunderstand the parts catalogue, the parts for coupés (BD.43229) and sedans (BD.48262) are different.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

Thank you Jochen. I fear it’s a but hard gone for the wire brush treatment, but it may be the only option.

where do you see those parts please? I could only see « rear deck panel » (part 12079 on page 62) but am not sure if this is the same. https://www.martinrobey.com/contentfiles/12.pdf

Thanks

Nick

Indeed, Nick,

it is somewhat mysterious, as the SII parts catalogue depicts the rear parcel self under “Heating and ventilation” at p. 2D 8L, but doesn’t show the fixing parts. The chapter “Body” only has on p. 2J 13R a description of the cantrail trim for 4dr cars

and on p. 2J 14L for 2dr cars

and I found that “assemly trim strip” BD.43229 resembled your part most.

BTW, as a general source of info on parts the original parts catalogue available from https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/older-vehicle-information has better resolution and completeness than the copies the dealers have made.

Good luck

Jochen

1 Like

Thank you Jochen, and yes I see it now. Indeed it must be BD.43229. Annoying though that it seems to be specific to the door, so I cannot rip one off a 4-door … !

Hi Nick,

From what I see the BD.43229, that Indeed resembles your part most, is for the 4 door, and the 2 door drawings are very different…?

Right that is the schematic for the 4 door but the footnote says that BD.43229 is for the two door and BD.48262 is the for the four door.

I am thinking of finding a 3D printer to recreate one in plastic, I’m not sure why it needs to be in metal apart from confirming to the Jaguar ideal of rusting to pieces.

1 Like

Or even plywood?

Nick,

in the 1960s and even early 70s the US probably had like a 20-years-advantage in developing and molding plastic When Europeans still had bakelite steering wheels the Corvette had molded plastic interior parts … so plastic really wasn’t an alternative then for Jaguar and plywood woud need to be seriously worked upon to fit and would have been even less tolerant to water than metal - so a tin press job probably was the cheapest option at the time.

I’d still attempt to restore the original metal. A reconstruction from 8 layers of 4 mm plywood might be a fun weekend job;-)

Good luck

Jochen

Hello everyone,

just to close the loop on this. I did look into a 3D print job but it turned out to be complicated and expensive (there’s the scan, then someone to correct the imperfections on the scan, make it thicker because the plastic would be too floppy, then do the actual print, and so on and so forth). So I followed the advice here and equipped myself with wire brushes, rust proofer, paint, some foam and some vinyl / leather effect adhesive wall paper that I stumbled across that is almost exactly as original.

The result is not too bad for an amateur, I like to think. I couldn’t smooth away all the little kinks in the vinyl, but I reckon it will do for a while …

thanks again

Nick
76 XJC 4.2 auto

3 Likes

Nice job, Nick!

It looks like you bought the metal part another 40 years of life. BTW, that kind of rust in this position would have me think that the rear light rubber seal isn’t tight (or that the window frame is rusted out:-/).

Unless I’m totally wrong the best part of the inner foamed lip will be hidden by the rear parcel shelf anyhow, so I think your work as an upholsterer is more than adequate! Enjoy your car!

Best wishes

Jochen

1 Like

Like Jochen said, check that rear glass for water leaks, this is an obvious indicator. It will also cause rust in the rear parcel shelf, around to the rear quarters not to mention the infamous rear window channel and cowl area between the boot and back glass, and the fuel door openings.