Part number needed S1 Xj6

I am looking for a Series 1 XJ6 viscous fan coupling for my Mk10. I have it on good authority that the series 1 XJ6 coupling is the same casting as the Mk10, perhaps a little different specification for the disengagement rpm. I don’t have an XJ parts book. The Mk10 parts number for “automatic fan unit (Torquatrol)” is C23693. Multiple sellers do substitute the incorrect later series 2-3 part for this so caution must be used with searches as the clearance for the Mk10 is minimal, the later part being too deep.

Anyways, if someone would be so kind as to give me the part number, or even better, sell me a good used one, I’d be grateful.
Ron

1 Like

Hi Ron,

I think this is the number…

1. XJ6 viscous fan coupling
    XJ6 single bolt fixing C45015 1
    XJ6 four bolt fixing NBC2215AA 1

Jeff H.

1 Like

My parts book for the S1 gives C28018 for cars without A/C and RTC1002 for cars with A/C. C28018 has been superseded by NBC 2215AA. NBC 2215AA is thicker than C28018 and only just clears the radiator in the S1.

Frankie

I’ve dealt with this issue ad nauseum on two S1s, but I’ve forgotten the details (details period–including but not limited to S1 fan clutches :slight_smile: )

There is an aftermarket (Hayden) clutch that’s a perfect fit for AC cars. The holes for the four studs are slots though, but the thing is “hubcentric” so it’s no concern. It may be NLS though (info in J-L archives I believe).

Some time ago I fit a S3 radiator and an XJS white plastic fan to replace the S1 steel fan. I like both. Still using an S1 clutch but there’s plenty of room with the thinner radiator for an S3 clutch (which requires some modification to fit the S1 water pump IIRC). IMHO.

I’m a bit late to respond here, as I’ve been out of town. Thanks for the good information, especially about the Hayden parts, and searching under that name brings up a lot more information. I might order the standard Hayden part described in another thread as the shortest one at 2.5" to see if it can work, as it’s pretty cheap. Seems to still be available.

Here is a little more intel, to add to your reading list. Still operating perfectly on my S1 XJ6. Paul.

Thanks Paul. I had looked at the thread before, but reviewed it again today - lots of good insights there. Unfortunately, the Mk10/420G just doesn’t have the clearance for those parts. Hard to measure but my total clearance is about 2 1/2", the 420G clutch approximately 3/8" from the radiatior. The old radiator had a fan shaped indentation on the back of the radiator. I replaced the engine mounts with heavy duty uprated bits from David Manners that have a solid steel cap. I don’t think the engine can move enough to hit my new rebuilt unit.

So, I’m going to run my original fan and clutch this summer and watch it. It does work, but I’m uncertain if it spins more than it should. When I spin the fan hard by hand, it will go about 2-3 revolutions before stopping, and it definitely has tension in it. In the meantime, I’ll start looking for an original spare. My other options would be to try to adapt something by having it machined or redrilled, go with an electric fan, or back to the solid aftermarket fan that came with the car.

I do appreciate the help.

I think that Tony, a fellow New South Welshman over on the Saloons site might have dealt a similar problem with his car - similar to yours. I also understand that it is possible to refurbish the original Torquatrol units - figure I have heard is $A200, FWIW. Paul.

Yes indeed. Tony is a huge help to us Mk10/420G owners, the most knowledgeable person that I am aware of.

That means that it is not working, Ron - it should stop at about half a revolution. Ie, while driving at speed there will be sufficient ram air cooling - but not at low speed…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I was afraid of that. It is somewhat working, as it moves a fair amount of air, so I’m using it until I figure something else out. I don’t yet know what that will be - I am going to look into alternate Hayden parts which could be machined to fit. I’ll also consider an electric fan or putting the aftermarket one back on. Any way you cut it, it’s a radiator-out job for the mk10, which is no fun - a two person job without removing the bonnet (which is also two person job plus a cherry picker).
Thanks