Partial rant Who do you think you are..taking a car apart

It is your car… do what you want…but when the car is apart DON’T EXPECT ME TO PAY FOR YOUR JUNK

Do you have any idea how much effort (and money) it takes to put something together…Let me give you an idea…

I am in Phoenix…home of the best resto’s guys…you know Barrett Jackson…highest selling E’s…well they came from Phoenix…Stil, these “boys” keep in the stable (taking up garage space) an unmolested series 1 so they can "go have a look’ when needed. This copy takes up space not to mention capital of some $50k…that is why “we” do not hear from…the big boys…

So take the E apart…but you now have reduced your buyers to me (who has an example) and a few other brave soles…We are not fools and We are not going to pay “BAT” prices…go ahead take it apart…it ain’t worth what it was…not even close…for get it…

Greed

Let it rot in your garage…push it out… kids need somewhere to store stuff…many of us are getting old and die…plenty of rain soaked Jags crumbling in the grass coming available…

Mitch, I suppose you posted this for a response, so I will attempt. I believe you are ranting that you do not want to buy someone else’s failed restoration. Then I do not get it, why WOULD you buy it if you are not interested? If I do not want to buy a failed restoration, then I will not. Do I not understand the problem?
Tom

1 Like

What he said. ^ andtwentycharacters

Huh ? and 20 charactars

1 Like

MItch – Did you forget to take your Prozac again?

Seriously - we’ve all encountered cars that we thought the sellers wanted way to much for, frustrating when it is a car we would have liked to have at the right price. Just leave your name and number and get theirs… check back in a year if it still appeals to you and see if they are ready to deal.

PS - They may be looking for a buyer with a deep checkbook who will let them restore the car for him. For that buyer they may be ready to lower their sell price to get the restoration and the botttomless money pit that goes with it.

yes, I read Mitch’s post three times and still couldn’t see what he was moaning about…apparently I’m not alone!

Different take, someone is pulling apart a good S1 that was used as reference tool. A puzzle is cool but ain’t nobody got time for that and it is pointless in his opinion.

Why no, no you’re not.

Don’t want to buy something because . . . ? Follow Dionne Warwick’s advice “Walk on by”. :grinning:

When I had dealers license tire kickers would stop and inquire about a particular vehicle after I would price it I would always ask if they were interested in taking it for a drive bout 2/3s would respond with nah aint worth that.
I would respond with not my fault you can’t afford it but don’t knock it till you drive it maybe that’s what Mitch’s problem is.

Tom,

Almost deleted my post…I own 5 E’s so I will never buy another. The forum works best for me to learn as others teach me and the reverse is true I teach as others learn. So it is an attempt to teach…something like…“before you break a car apart you need to see it thru” or it will cost you money…and represent failure…and be failure…

Think before you act…

Mitch

Well, it goes to verify that restoring one of our old cars is truly a “labor of love”. If you are not “filthy rich” but have the burning desire to own one, then you will learn how to work on them. That’s because no “regular guy” can afford to buy one that has been restored.

LLoyd

A step backward, after making a wrong turn, is a step in the right direction.

Kurt Vonnegut

Mitch I think I understand. I know some cars get too far gone and must come completely apart to become active again but I have seen too many decent cars come apart and take years to see the road again or never make it back to driving condition. I have 4 cars with combined age of 184 years but none have ever been completely apart or been off the road for more than a year. I really hate when any of them are not drive-able. If possible I think it is much better to take one project at a time since a complete disassembly can become overwhelming soon after it comes apart. My 2 cents

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

It certainly is easy to lose focus on what at the time would appear to be a relatively quick job, and then the extent, time an expense required to do the job right, suddenly slaps one in the face. Happened to me once on an MGB (it went away in boxes/trailer) and I’ve already spent nearly four years on the E…but nearing completion on it, finally. Once you turn the corner as it were, things aren’t so bad and motivation to finish kicks in, we hope!

I’ve been lucky with the E as I owned and drove it for about fifteen years before the reno/refurb worked commenced, so I knew what it was like to own and drive. That in and of itself is motivation.