Patreon website intrusive

I just went to the Patreon website to contribute and noticed that, among many other scripts that site uses, are facebook, amazon, twitter ads, google analytics, etc. trackers. I do not allow those trackers on my computer so I can not contribute to the creation and upkeep of this website via that method. One reason I like Jaglovers is the fact that this site does NOT impose those trackers on its users.

Hi Doug. I too wish to contribute (which I have done before) but am a bit suss about Patreon

Dont really want people thinking I am a ā€œfreeloaderā€ā€¦so one way around it would be to add something to signature along the lines ā€œcontributed via Paypalā€

I had ā€œNon-Patron Contributorā€ in my sig line for a bit, but felt it looked silly so I removed it. I know I kicked in some $ and I would hope others arenā€™t judging members by whether they have ā€œPatronā€ attached to their name.

1 Like

And I disliked the patreon flair show off thingy. Bottom line of discussion was that for now itā€™s the best way for the admins. Why not add ā€šI donate via PayPal or somethingā€œ to your profile page? Should be sufficient and you can absolutely be trusted Iā€˜d sayā€¦ Gunnar said itā€™s been a lot of work to mention the individuals who donate so best do it yourself and nothing can go wrong! You have to look for the PayPal link, I think I posted it in the HOW DO I - Thread in this section.

Absolutely agree with John. Exactly.

David

@MLee this might be your thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

We chose Patreon because it was available as a plugin for the site. Part of that software is the ā€œflairā€ on subscriberā€™s avatars. There was a similar flair for subscribers on the old site.

The point of the flair isnā€™t bragging rights, nor to shame people into subscribing. Itā€™s a relatively unobtrusive way of indicating that some users subscribe funds to help us stay online. (It does cost money to run this site, the only way we cover those is via subscriptions)

We canā€™t integrate the paypal subscriptions to show a flair.

If you wish to use Paypal, then mentioning it in your ā€œAbout meā€ is, to my mind, appropriate.

At the risk of being a jerk, but the paypal link is at the bottom of each form page as a footer. Scroll down to the end of the thread. and youā€™ll find the paypal link.

I too am not a fan of patreon. I subscribe to a bunch of YouTube channels that request money via Patreon. Not a fan of site that automatically takes money from my account. Even if it is only a $1.00. I much rather drop a $50 when I have one to spare. Like I usually do via Pay Pal, than have money zapped out of my account.

All in all
I love this site, I find the people on this site, for the most part, are lovely individuals. If everyone lived close to me or I lived close to them (depending on how you want to look at it), Iā€™m sure I would hang out with all of you!; Sadly they donā€™t, So we piss with the cock we got; the forum it is.

Cheers!

1 Like

Not at all! It is there, admittedly. It always feels better to donate willingly, the act of giving and so on, but also so easy to forget :slightly_smiling_face:
However, patreon works or would work well for channels like clickspring (absolutely excellent) or roadkill with the pay-for-early-access-website. They do work better with some more dependable ā€œsalaryā€ā€¦ so it has its place.

Definitely; thereā€™s no better way to me right now for spending school time, and winter definitelyā€¦ and one learns so much. Lovely. Cheers!

1 Like

I love clickspring, pete222 is good as is This Old Tony. I like road kill and engine masters too. Oddly enough, I subscribe to these as well. Mighty Car Mods is also good or was good. I havenā€™t watched those two for a while.

I agree (learned so much), the knowledge and confidence Iā€™ve gained from reading posts and communicating via this forum is invaluable.

Cheers!

1 Like

We definitely watch the same stuff. ThisoldTony also for all the little surprises (how he does some of those tricks is beyond me), AvE is or was another favorite, and Rust2Rome, myfordboy for the metal castings. Never liked mightycarmods that much though but for a few occasions.
Cool!

David

Yes we do watch the same channels, i love avE, i will have to check out rust2rome. Lol that is awesome!

Absolutely, go for the Mark X videos!

David

I started watching it yesterday. I wish I had his workshop. I had an opportunity to purchase a 420G and I passed it up. Iā€™m kinda sorry I did. Kinda. Mechanically I like the car because itā€™s very similar to the XJā€™s with a bonus the 3 carb intake on the XK. Iā€™m on Part 7

1 Like