Picture of MKIV centre pillar

Does anyone have a picture of how the MKIV door pillar is finished at the bottom?

Art

Top of the pillar is wood trim, the bottom of the pillar is panel section (same as lower doors), with Furflex edging to both sides to seal the doors. Couple of pictures:

Top%20door%20pillar

Bottom%20door%20pillar

Hope this helps.

David,

Thanks for these pictures. I’ll save them for later (much later). My fault for not being specific in my request. It’s the bottom of the outside of the pillar I need to see. The tinworm has eaten about 4" up from the running board.

Art

Don’t know if these photos will help (taken before, during and after full strip down, welding, and painting). The pillar is a key strengthening aspect of the car, so it needs a sound welded joint at the bottom. Once I’d done this (needed on both sides on my car, along with the bottoms of the doors needing skinning in some places) I built up the square profile of the pillar with a quality body filler before sanding and finishing. The pillars are “indented” at the outer edges to allow the doors to sit flush when closed. I found it easier to refit the doors quite a few times in order to get good alignment and shape overall body filler to a smooth line. Being a classic car, the tolerances of fitting the panels and doors are not super accurate as they are in modern technology production lines !!

2017%203%2030%20(79)

2017%206%201%20(21)

2017%2010%2012%20(2)

2017%2012%2021%20(31)

2017%2012%2030%20(2)

2018%203%2018%20(29)

David,

Yes, that picture makes perfect sense. I just make it square in line with the bottom of the door. I’ve made the pillar profile with the rebate for the doors but wasn’t sure if it the followed the curve of the body mount. This is much simpler to make.

Many thanks

Art

Just make sure the bottom edge of the welding/box section of the pillar remains clear of the running board when you come to attach the front wheel arches (I’ve just made them level with the bottom of the doors).

And, as Maxwell Smart would say"The oldest trick in the book , Chief, is finding that the gap between the bottom of the doors and the top of the rubber in the running board strips is too little"
So the doors won’t open
Easier to check that first.

Max often mentioned the difficulties in getting the gaps for the RPG launcher to the bonnet correct…images

1 Like