Piston numbers and engine block paint…

Getting closer to putting my now weld-repaired head back on the block. Spent some time cleaning the carbon off the pistons and discovered some numbers which don’t match anything in my parts manual, do they mean anything to anyone? And what about the “F” and “G”s stamped beside the bores?

Also, still doing my best not to restore this car, but everywhere I look I see more opportunities to do more! Do I really need to repaint this block? Is there a technical reason or just cosmetics?

If you don’t take advantage of the block accessibility now, and at least clean and repaint the rusted areas, I guarantee you’ll wish you had later… especially, when a buyer asks why it looks so bad.
Happy Easter

I also would paint the block while there is easy access. It makes me feel better to restore any part I take off before I put it back.

The Fs and Gs are the original bore tolerances as listed in the Service Manual.
The original pistons would also have had those letters.

It looks like your pistons have been replaced.

only two votes, but repainting is going to happen… thanks for swaying me away from bad practices!

Since I know you’ve been patiently waiting for the proof, hard to photograph a black block in a dark engine well!

2 Likes

It’s much easier to paint the engine prior to assembly. It lets you get an even coat into all of the nooks and crannies that otherwise would be missed. This marks the difference between an amateur and a professional rebuild.

Hahaha…

1. how long have you been waiting for an opportunity to use that photo?

2. is that a Jaguar factory colour?

Hi Dave, although I strive to meet that level of professionalism in all I do, I cannot take credit for it… merely a web-found image :smile:

Amateur and professional will show you how often this engine will be de-/assembled. I suppose that this engine will end as a not running show engine👍
Best regards thomas

As long as it’s red and a V8 everything goes

1 Like

Do you think painting the pistons and cylinder walls will improve compression? Maybe I can spray some Rust oleum in the spark plug holes. :smirk:

Use glyptal.it’s also red because racecar and creates an even surface that helps the rings wipe off all the oil, reducing oil consumption.…seals better because the surface is actually FLAT not all scratched up it will also reduce piston slap or so I heard.also leads to more frequent dissasembly which actually turns you into a pro much faster… have you ever noticed that pros tear down engines very often while amateurs rarely touch them must be a reason for that

I mean it, I have to do something to mine every other week!
On topic I don’t want the ‚new‘ look either but I did my best to make the engine look good, not too polished, and painting the block made a huge improvement. Well done.

1 Like