Plastic fluid bottles

You all have been an immense help and I have literally offered nothing albeit entertainment via a laugh or 2

So maybe, this will help someone.

2 separate aftermarket bottles have broken on the bottom nipple area. As I had the originals I figured, what the heck, try and clean them up.

Oh wow were they dirty and stained/rusted etc.

After a few YouTube videos I decided to try something (as a chick) I had around the house from Sally’s Beauty supply.

Used the peroxide #30 liquid to remove the yellow after I had scrubbed with Krud Kutters stain removing version of CLR.

With the peroxide to work I placed bottles in the bright sun and covered with Plastic wrap.

Significant improvement.

From this.

To this:

The one with the yellowing was the down side (unexposed to the sunlight directly) to show the improvement.

2 Likes

I saw a YouTube video where someone used the same process but used a tub with a UV light to restore a yellowed Nintendo64 which came up very nice. I was planning to try it on my washer bottles and brake/clutch reservoirs but you beat me to it. Nicely done.

Definitely on my list of things to do now.

Jay

Thanks for the advice. As an aside, I never realized that Sally’s Beauty Supply stocked Krud Cutters stain remover… :smiley:

1 Like

For anyone who is more concerned with functionality than originality, below is what I did when my (cr@p!) fluid reservoir failed. The BMW reservoir I used is cheap, and outstanding quality - FAR better than ANY E-Type reservoir I’ve ever seen. And one reservoir serves both brakes and clutch, with each brake circuit having it’s own dedicated fluid reserve.

1 Like

Candiece,

Please see thread at :

Same high-strength peroxide is recommended - concentration used for pools… Bottles look great…

1 Like

Does this treatment in any way alter the flexibility or other properties of the plastic itself?

2 Likes

Great question.

As the aftermarket ones seem to break VERY easily at the nipple neck, figured what did I have to lose. Will update if I learn it affects properties.

Not in my limited experience, but that was with the plastic washer bottle, not the hydraulic reservoirs.

I found that it is still possible to obtain a good quality (non-leaking) fluid bottle new as of last year.

SNG Barratt has at least one replacement that doesn’t crack easily at the drain. This is part# C36606/1U. My original bottle developed a leak and I couldn’t repair it (no suitable plastic welding material.)

I first purchased the cheapest offering from SNG, but despite great care to avoid stressing it, it leaked almost immediately. After bringing it to SNG’s attention, they suggested the uprated part and gave me the cost of the failed cheap bottle as credit against the cost.

This one has not leaked, and has been put to a 500 mile road trip and other shorter drives as a test of durability. The better part includes a filter as the OEM part did, and has embossed lettering on all sides (the cheap bottle only has it on two sides.)

I don’t know why SNG bothers offering the cheap part. I suspect that many E-type owners never really drive their cars and just need a part there for completeness. Maybe this explains the many of the shoddy part offerings out there.

This isn’t recent though - the previous owner I bought my E-type from handed me three sparkling white fluid bottles and told me they were junk with some frustration. He put the original bottles back on. This was 12 or 13 years ago.

Dave

1 Like

I did the last remaining original
Bottle. Very happy with the result.

3 Likes

Well done.

+20 ……………

1 Like

Yes, it’s great work. As far as I know, no one has ever achieved results like this. It might put a big dent in the shoddy reproduction fluid bottle business!

Dave

2 Likes

Imma gonna try “The Candiece technique” on Margaret’s washer bottle!

1 Like

Mine are on their way from Oz for your treatment :joy::joy::flushed:

2 Likes

Awesome!

Excited to see the results!

Make sure to pick a very sunny day. :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

Those results are spectacular. If not too much trouble could you write up a step by step procedure including strength of reagents, soaking times, time in the sun etc? I have seen other attempts but somehow yours turn out much better.

Candy, you may have JUST begun a side gig!

:grimacing:

2 Likes

Thank you! :nerd_face:

1.) Used Dawn Power wash foam spray to clean very well.

2.) Mixed equal parts (1:1 ratio) of these 2 ingredients. The brand I do not feel is important, but these are the brands I used. Purchased at Sally Beauty Supply store, but you can purchase online as well. Probably goes without saying you should wear gloves and avoid getting this on anything you don’t want bleached.

Peroxide Developer

Powdered bleach lightener

3.) I used a medium paintbrush to put a thick coat of this all over the plastic, inside and out, put inside of a clear ziplock baggie and placed outside on a very bright sunny day, with temps in the high 80’s/low 90’s. I turned the bottle about every 2 hours to ensure that the bottle got good exposure to the light.

One side still had a yellow spot so I put it back out the next day for about another hour with direct light on that side.

4.) Rinsed well and let dry.

I have no indication that the plastic integrity has been detrimentally affected by this process, however I am sure that will be confirmed with time.

I do know that the OEM plastic bottles are far superior to the replacement bottles and hope this process works well for anyone else that is hoping to try it.

6 Likes

Perfect. Bookmarked!

3 Likes

Unbelievable! Fabulous!

1 Like