Please help me identify a mystery XK120 ? part

In digging through old parts boxes, I discovered a mystery “part” in with my XK120 stuff. It is a brown leather open-sided stitched pocket similar to that for the Valve timing gage, but in this case it is slightly larger and has two pockets, not one. In each pocket is a rectangular piece of polished black plastic. I have no memory whatsoever of the origin of this. Anyone ???

Without a picture, I can only guess.
Are you sure they are plastic and not painted aluminum?
Blanking plates for the front brake air scoops?

By jove I think you’ve got it. SB66 says: “SB 66 - Apr 50: Throttle restrictor: Advised that a throttle restrictor was being fitted to XK120 cars to prevent their being “run at excessive speed during their early life”, in the form of “a stop on the underside of the accelerator pedal” secured to the pedal by a setscrew which is in turn locked by a wire and lead seal. The stop is to be removed at the time when the first service is carried out, that is, after the first 750 miles.” No chassis numbers nominated.

Front brake air scoops: Announced that 2 blanking plates C.4292 would “in future be issued with each car, to be fitted, when considered necessary, in place of the normal stone guard, Part no. C.3527.” It was also noted that the scoops themselves were to avoid brake fade. No chassis numbers nominated."

I will take pictures and post. Never heard of a leather pouch but in fact I found it in company with a matching leather pouch containing the valve timing gage.

Thank you.

Karl Kirkman

Mark V had them as well, part C.4292, but I hadn’t heard of a pouch for them.
For driving on dusty or muddy roads.
tools 022

1 Like

can you post a photo of the pouch what is it made from ?

Terry,

I absolutely will post a picture. It is not stored here at the house, and today is a Dr. visit day for us as we are elderly, but I will get it as soon as I can.

Karl

Rob,

Today is Dr visit day ( old age is not for the faint of heart ) ,but I will post a picture as soon as I can. My Jaguar stuff is not here at the house.

If the pouch is not original, it must have taken a fanatic to decide to make up one, but that is my expectation. It was found stored along with the cam tool in a matching pouch…

Thank you.

Karl

| Rob_Reilly
March 28 |

• | - |

Mark V had them as well, part C.4292, but I hadn’t heard of a pouch for them.
For driving on dusty or muddy roads.
tools 022

Terry,

Here is a pictureof the pouch and it is indeed the cover plates as evidenced by the corner hole.

They apperar to be aluminum painted a very glossy black.

Karl

Here are some photos:

First image is two styles of cam tool: exposed stitching and concealed stitching.

Second image is two cam pockets next to shut plate pocket.

Final image is shut plate pocket with contents splayed out Note that leather spacer is loose and held between the two plates. Plates appear to be fairly heavy aluminum with very glossy black finish; a single hole in corner. Item appears to be a reproduction, but it is hard to imagine someone just making this up without something to copy.