POLL: Saloon 3.8L engines with Retro/Classic Auto Air a/c

Hi George,

I have a 1964 E-Type, not a 1965 Mk2, but I’m guessing that our 3.8 engines are very similar. The a/c system you describe further up (York compressor etc.)…was that original to the car, or part of a kit you purchased? I’m installing a kit myself, sourced from Classic Auto Air, which purchased the former RetroAir vendor of retrofit a/c kits.

I expect that our a/c systems will differ in many respects, but I’d be interested in how you mount your alternator, compressor and belts. I have started a thread in the E-Type forum with some of my photos and I would be interested in seeing photos of your system as your installation progresses. I’m installing mine with two belts: one for the crank and compressor only, and the second for the crank, alternator and water pump.

Thanks,

Bob

P.S. I am guessing that you have two condensers and one evaporator similar to @MarkII further up this thread. All 3 are fundamentally heat exchangers. But the evaporator is the one inside the cabin, and absorbs heat from the cabin air, which heats/expands the refrigerant. The condenser’s job is to reject heat from the refrigerant to the atmosphere outside the cabin. Then the cycle begins anew…