Poly Bush front Susp. and sway bar?

Need to rebush the front suspension.

SNG has a black kit that includes the sway bar.

What’s the current thought on poly bushes.

Are the available rubber ones on the market no good? Convert to poly?

Anyone have them and hate them?

I got poly bushes from one of the usuals and the fit was very bad so I abandoned them.

So I went to my local machine shop who machined me bushings out of delrin that I understand is self lubricating. Has been flawless since and no squeaking.

This was only for A arms. The sway bar bushings were poly from one of the usuals

Dennis

69 OTS

I was given a S11 a few yeas ago, the sway bay bushes had been red poly, at least that was the best guess I could make from what was remaining, a crumbly pile of small pieces. Just my view.

The Pro-Thane fit fine. The PolyBush may or may not.

1 Like

With bushings the fulcrum is the bushing itself with no friction on the shaft or bushing carrier. With a delrin bushing either the shaft is rotating inside the delrin or the delrin is rotating inside the carrier or both. Unless lubricated this movement is a potential source of wear for either the shaft or carrier as they will wear before delrin.

I have black Pro-Thane and they have worked beautifully.

–Drew

I wouldn’t. There is no point - they don’t make enough difference to anything to incur the potential problems - read squeaking. I autocross a fair bit with my E Type - when I dumped the red poly bushings for stock ones I could just tell the difference in feel - just - the stock ones are not quite as precise, but more importantly my times didn’t change.

1 Like

all this is helpful but, the rubber bushings at SNG have been “superseded by reproductions”.

Can I trust the reproductions?

You have to ask for the real ones. They’re held in reserve for the bold. At it’s been that way in the past

Pro thane lists two sizes of bushing for 2 sizes of front sway bar. IIRC it’s 2.54 cm/in or 25.4 mm per inch.

20 mm which I believe is .787 inches

and 21 mm which I believe is .826 inches

Now the problem is, my sway bar measures .750 to .756 inches. Now what?

meanwhile SNG doesn’t mention a differentiation for it’s bushings.

No idea of part numbers. I got my kit from CJ and everything fit. If your bar is .75 maybe you need 11-42059

https://prothane.com/vehicle-applications/vehicle-applications-jaguar/

Got my black Polybush from SNG. The metal bushing fit perfectly on the shaft. However, I found that several of them were defective : the inner metal bushing was not concentric with the OD. Purchased another set , picked the good ones and returned the others with a note in the box in case they put back in stock and sent to another customer. Also told Tony…

How pronounced was the eccentricity?

I had the same issue as Marco. It was very apparent by eye. The sleeve was molded into the rubber crooked. on about half of them. I like the rubber they use, but their QC has become terrible. I bought a set of their rack mounts and the posts were crooked. SNG had to dig through a box of them to find two that were straight for me. Big headache for SNG.

Pete,
Easily visible by naked eye. Did not measure but at least 1/8”.