Porcelain repair

while I have a set of old GTJ headers on my XKE, my old stove has porcelain tops that are cracked and rusting. my local shop told me that most exhaust and hot coats contain silicone and are not to be used near food. I finally remembered that some of you probably have a shop that still does porcelain. any recommendations would be appreciated.

Most modern kitchen utensils are made of silicone. So something’s wrong with that contention.

Prairie Porcelain. I believe, in Minn. They did mine five years ago and they still look great and shiny…

Yes, Prairie Auto Porcelain: https://www.prairieautoporcelain.com/

They do other coatings as well.

–Drew

You must not run your car😁

Independence Porcelain does appliance porcelain:

http://www.ipe-porcelain.com/

???

Mike Harris

480-388-0288

Porcelain on manifolds doesn’t generally remain intact, because of the heat. At least my experience and that of others here.

Larry

Okay…I’ll just keep enjoying mine. I have pics if you like. Enjoy yours.

Mike Harris

480-388-0288

Been running for several years now. Manifolds look great still. Do you have specific experience yourself or have done nothing ?

What are your experiences with re porcelainizing ?

Mike Harris

480-388-0288

Mine crapped out very shortly after putting them on many years ago. Been running without repairing them since. Will probably look at Jet Hot this next winter.

Certainly glad yours have held up

If you want a little bling, a few hours of using a Dremel–or better yet, a Fordham–and a pile of sanding rolls, to smooth the castings, will make the final finish much shinier.

I wonder if it could be a case of EPA type regulations being relaxed lately. I know years ago when I got my manifolds re-porcelained by a local company, the owner warned me it wouldn’t last because they weren’t able to use certain ingredients any more.

They looked gorgeous at first but cracked up after about a year. In comparison, I once had an 50,000 mile XK150 which still had perfect porcelain on the original Jaguar manifolds.

I’ve been on this forum over 20 years and never heard before that anyone can successfully replicate the original porcelain, so what’s changed?

1 Like

Yes I’m gonna try that. Next winter’s project.

Larry

I think his contention was that there is a difference between something made entirely of a certain type of silicon and a paint or other topical covering that has silicon in it. He read from the safety data sheets that come with his paints, and other hot applied coverings which specifically said not to use it near food.

Silicon and silicone are like apples and oranges. Silicon and it’s normal form, silica may be an inhalation hazard like asbestos.

I can’t be sure but I think I remember that Prairie also coated the internal passages with ceramic material. They also suggested running with a richer vs lean mixtures.

That would cool the exhaust but also seems like a bodge. Ideally, the materials should accommodate the proper mixture, not the other way around.

I smoothed my manifolds using Roloc 3" sanding discs in 36 and 80 grits and coated them at home with CereKote. After a few thousand miles and 16 months they still look like they did when I first coated them. I bought the bare, uncoated manifolds from one of the usuals; SNG IIRC.

2 Likes

I wasted $800 on a “new” porcelain set from the usuals. After break in period, most of it just crazed and flaked off like shards of glass. Under the flaked porcelain was a very rough and rusted surface. The surface prep was just total crap. Looked like typical Chinese product sans 24 hour QA oversight. I ground and sanded my original manifolds and sent to Jet Hot. I miss the shine but the durable matte black finish looks much better than than rust.

I sandlblasted mine and then sprayed with Tremclad 2000. Then baked in oven as per instructions.

It went on black but then cured to a gray with the heat.

Has been wearing well for perhaps four years now

Dennis 69 OTS