Possible replacement for fuel tank screen?

The screen on my original fuel tank plug for my 140 was shot, so I ordered a replacement plug from one of the usuals. The replacement would not fit over the fuel line in the tank, so I stupidly attempted to carefully drill it out to the correct size. I was not careful enough and the fragile screen ripped. Bummer. What I am now wondering is if the screen could be replaced by a filter that would slide over the fuel line and perform the same function as the screen, but actually do a better job. I would also note that the replacement plugs do not look like the original so the filter idea would allow the original appearance of the car and brass plug to be maintained. Has anyone tried this? What filter did you use?

You can buy the brass mesh . i’ve Seen it on eBay. Not too hard to solder it onto the other parts.

That’s what I did, got some brass wire cloth from www.mcmaster.com/screens

My Brass screen was pretty much gone, so I came up with a temporary solution…

Some modern cars use a plastic mesh type of sock or bag tied over the in-tank fuel pump inlet.
I found one of these mesh socks on a used GM electric in-tank fuel pump which I had lying around, cut it off, and zip-tied it over the open end of the fuel inlet pipe inside the tank.

On this vehicle, perhaps I was lucky, but the fuel inlet pipe inside the tank was positioned such that I could get a hold of it, and put on the sock and zip-tie through the opening in the bottom of the tank.

My intention was to eventually get around to soldering up a nice brass screen, but the sock type filter seems to be working after several years.

Maybe these plastic sock filters are available separately, but if you can salvage a clean one from a used pump, and you don’t mind the non-originality, you could always try this ‘temporary’ solution.