Pre-HE Opus Ignition woes

Is that in your scary fast looking rhd XJS that was in the classified?
thanks for testimonial regarding Crane.
Mark

Awesome! I’m hoping someone will confirm that, since we’ve had several reports that it did not. It might have been an earlier incarnation, since Crane has apparently changed hands a couple of times.

OK, this image appears on several sites listing the 700-0300, and it most definitely does show the 12-slot shutter disc evidently designed for the Jaguar V12:

Interestingly, none of the sites seemed to actually say it’d work on a 12, and at least one of them actually said it was for 4-6 cylinder engines. But besides the 12-slot disc there are also 8-slot discs.

That 12 slot disc definitely looks like the expensive part in that package.

Kilbert, As I recall the Crane ads had the same write-up making one wonder if the 12 slot rotor was included. It was! Another nice feature, you can get replacement parts should a component fail.

Happy Trails,

Dick

H&H ignition in the uk,will carry out a first class conversion to your original distributor. You won’t get an original looking amplifier or ballast resistor, but it works perfectly I’ve fitted at least 4 of them with no problems at all.

Thank you. I will investigate.

Judging by your “ handle” you like cider? Are you in UK? I am, I love cider! Luckily these days it’s easier to get a decent pint in the Midlands than it used to be!

Yes I love cider and Perry. My son and I are small commercial growers and cider producers in the Pacific Northwest.
Last time I was in the UK I liked Henney’s dry best.
But if we are ever allowed to travel and you make it out this way, and you think Kingston Black two years in s topshelf whisky barrel sounds amazing let me know. Lots of good dry drink here.
Might even have this bad kitty tamed.

Mark Bailey

Have just been advised by FAST that my order to purchase the SKU:700-0300 kit for the Lucas distributor for V12 is no longer available for sale as the 12 slot shutter disk is not manufactured, even though they still show a 12 slot shutter disk in the product images of the kit.
That is disappointing news as this kit has a history of being a reliable solution to replace the Opus ignition system. The only reasonable cost effective solution is to try the PerTronix 9LU-1122A Ignitor II kit as installed by Zack with helpful advice from Kirbert refer XJS forum section.

OK so how many would you actually need? :slight_smile: I’m guessing the black plastic thing will be needed as well to which disk is bolted. If I can figure out the dimensions then it would be easy to make it.

Speak up, folks! Now or never! IMHO, every Opus owner should order a shutter disk whether they need one yet or not. You want to keep the XR-700 option open.

Sign me up John.
I’m working on a S1 XJ12 that needs to be de-Opused.

I would would purchase 12 slot shutter disk, so i can replace my opus on my 78 XJS prehe.

I assume you can then purchase the FAST 700-0300 kit and substitute the Fast shutter disk (6 or8?) for 12 slot disk? Is the correct Kilbert?

I read a post on this forum by ED Sowell who measured a 12 slot disk from his Crane disk see Crane XR700 12-slot shutter disk
Regards Al

I’m not sure it’ll be the FAST 700-0300. Since they no longer make the 12-cyl shutter disk, if I were them I’d discontinue that entire part number to avoid confusion. You will want a FAST XR-700, though, which comes under a variety of part numbers, apparently some designed for Lucas distributors, some designed for American cars, some “generic”.

There was a discussion some time back that one XR-700 kit had parts that evidently were intended for mounting the XR-700 pickup on the existing vacuum advance plate while another kit had parts that were intended to replace the vacuum advance plate in entirety – or some such variation. One worked much better than the other, and I think the one that worked the best was the one that replaced the least. The pickup mounting hardware that comes with the XR-700 always seems to be a problem, starting with it being too cheap and flimsy. Lots of people who have successfully installed the XR-700 apparently have fabbed their own mounting hardware.

John_John1, does that thread provide enough info to make the part needed?

I also wonder if you could skip making the plastic hub and instead utilize one of the smaller all-plastic shutter disks in the kit as a hub.

I would doubt that… Shaft diameters are probably different

Aaaargh! Well, I suppose it wouldn’t be too difficult to whip up a plastic hub – especially if you leave the key out and rely solely on the key in the metal disk itself. That sounds like a plan to me, avoiding the issues of making the key in the hub and the key in the disk line up when you screw them together.

1 Like

How is this wheel originally fixed to the shaft? is it only friction between plastic adapter and shat?
Is the shaft diameter identical on HE and pre-HE?

you’re right, looking at the pictures I dot see any key in plastic adapter